Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Romanians buried at Douai and Mons in 1917

Keith_history_buff

Hello,

These Romanians were POWs of the Germans, working in POW Companies.

Jan

Thanks for the explanation, Jan. 

A while ago I was doing some research on some Old Contemptibles who became POWs. I was surprised to read an account in the War Office files of British POWs being used as working parties on the Eastern Front.

48 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Thanks for the explanation, Jan. 

A while ago I was doing some research on some Old Contemptibles who became POWs. I was surprised to read an account in the War Office files of British POWs being used as working parties on the Eastern Front.

Yes, the Germans sent some allied POWs to work on the Eastern Front as a countermeasure for the Allies sending German POWs to work f.i. in Northern Africa in bad conditions

(so: the Allies (French) were the first to do this, history is not black & white, it's all more different shades of grey on both sides)

2 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Yes, the Germans sent some allied POWs to work on the Eastern Front as a countermeasure for the Allies sending German POWs to work f.i. in Northern Africa in bad conditions

I was amazed to read of a German WW1 POW cemetery in North Africa earlier today (on the French language "forum Pages 14-18"), and had to double-check that it wasn't from 1943, as it isn't something you read about in english language sources.

9 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

I was amazed to read of a German WW1 POW cemetery in North Africa earlier today (on the French language "forum Pages 14-18"), and had to double-check that it wasn't from 1943, as it isn't something you read about in english language sources.

Could you give the link?

The Russian soldiers buried at Arcis-sur-Aube, my ex-wife's home town were a surprise to me.

Edited by Guest

One of the tragic ironies of the Great War : there was such cosmopolitanism in death, among men who had been so parochial in life.

Editing here : perhaps there had been a significant Romanian diaspora : am I right in suggesting that there were a lot of Romanian mercantile mariners ?

Phil

Edited by phil andrade