Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
John Beech

16th Auxiliary Horse Transport Company ASC

John Beech

Afternoon All

My Great Uncle, Charles Henry Beech, originally joined the Transport and Supply Column ASC of the Notts and Derby Mounted Brigade on 1st December 1913 as 1275 (T4/244636) Driver, following on from my grandfather who had enlisted earlier in the year. Sometime after the outbreak of war they, along with ten other men, were transferred to No.4 Company, North Midland Divisional Train (46th Divisional Train) in time for the other ten to go into theatre when the North Midland Division was posted to France in February 1915. My grandfather followed in May, with Charles following on 5th November 1915. In January 1916, he went sick for two days, followed on 28th February 1916 with being admitted to No.2 General Hospital in Le Havre with bronchitis. He was evacuated to the UK on 2nd March 1916. He is listed at this time as being with Base Horse Transport, which was based in Le Havre, so I can think of three possibilities: he may not have joined 46th Divisional Train upon his arrival in November, been posted to the Base, or retained after his first bout of illness. 

He must have stayed in the UK for sometime after his return as he was married in June 1916 in Watford.

I know he was discharged due to sickness in April 1919, but I have a note in my records to the effect that he had at some time served with No.2 Section, 16th Auxiliary Horse Transport Company, ASC. I see from the LLT that this company wasn't formed until January 1917, so it would fit in with his known timeline, and that it was based in Salonika, later becoming 799th Company.

I have seen some posts on the Auxiliary Horse Transport  in Salonika, but nothing specifically on this unit. Does anyone know anything about this unit, its base, composition or role?

Thank you in anticipation

John Beech

Many thanks Dai

Ron Clifton
On 02/05/2019 at 14:47, John Beech said:

I have seen some posts on the Auxiliary Horse Transport  in Salonika, but nothing specifically on this unit. Does anyone know anything about this unit, its base, composition or role?

An Auxiliary HT Company was used to supplement the activities of divisional trains when extra supplies or equipment were needed at the front. They consisted of about seven officers and 470 other ranks (the numbers varied slightly over time). They were Lines of Communication units, operating mainly in back areas, but in the Salonika theatre the poor state of metalled roads made horse transport particularly important. I don't  have a more detailed breakdown of their composition but most units of that size were divided into four sections.

If you can get to the National Archives at Kew, you can read the War Diary in this file:

WO 95/4808 16 Auxiliary Horse Transport Company (799 Company ASC) 1916 Dec. - 1919 Mar.  

War Diaries rarely mention individuals by name other than officers, but numbers of casualties each day are nearly always given, and the location of the unit, with a short description of its activities, is given on each day.

Ron

John Beech

Thanks Ron

Regards

John