Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RN Service Register entry: Iolaire (St.Kilda)

MAW

A sailor’s entry in his RN service register (see image attached) shows what appears to be ‘Iolaire (St Kilda)' for the period 21 Oct 1918 to 27 Apr 1919.

I understand that HM Yacht Iolaire was lost on 1 Jan 1919.

Is 'St Kilda' in this instance a place or a vessel?

Mark

Iolaire (St Kilda).PNG

He was borne on the books of HMS IOLAIRE, the base at Stornoway, while actually serving in the trawler HMS ST KILDA. She was a Hull trawler that had been brought under Admiralty control in 1917 as a commercial fishing vessel in the Fishery Reserve.

The yacht HMS IOLAIRE (formerly AMALTHEA), which sank on 1 Jan 1919, was the commissioned 'nominal ship' for the Stornoway base. After the sinking the tug LADY WINDSOR was re-named IOLAIRE and became the new 'nominal ship'.

38 minutes ago, MAW said:

A sailor’s entry in his RN service register (see image attached) shows what appears to be ‘Iolaire (St Kilda)' for the period 21 Oct 1918 to 27 Apr 1919.

I understand that HM Yacht Iolaire was lost on 1 Jan 1919.

Is 'St Kilda' in this instance a place or a vessel?

Mark

Iolaire (St Kilda).PNG

Mark, you may wish to watch the BBC4 documentary screened last night - In Sight of Home: The Iolaire.   The story of the sinking is re-told and explored.

Thank you horatio2 for this information - now it all makes sense!

Yes, pete-c, I saw this programme about the sinking of the HMY Iolaire - very well produced and presented - it was interesting to hear how the word Iolaire was pronounced in the Scottish accent.

Mark