Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Hughes of North Wales Fusiliers with strange cap badge

typandy

According to the Llandudno Advertiser, in which this image appeared more than once, the photograph is of Private John Hughes 1875-1916.

John Hughes with a regimental number of 4533 served in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers 2nd Battalion and was part of the international force that was assembled to secure the Foreign Legations at Peking during the Boxer Rebellion in 1899/1900. He received a severe injury to his knee.

He rejoined in October 1914 but was discharged. He attested again on 21 August 1915 and assigned  "Class 3" to the 3rd (Reserve) RWF at Litherland 33316. He died on 6 May 1916 at Windy Knowe Military Hospital, Blundellsands of pneumonia aged 40.

Clearly the image is of a mature soldier. He appears to have good conduct stripes. But what is that circular cap badge?

Hughes John RWF (002).jpg

Edited by typandy
more finger trouble

Difficult to be sure of anything at that sort of resolution. My gut feeling is that the badge isn't really circular, and the light or flash has simply highlighted the polished centre as there are hints of arms or points coming off it. Something like ASC could be possible:

Image result for asc cap badge

I'm pretty certain it is the circular tin badge that was issued in various forms to some troops of the RWF and recruits from east Wales in the early days of recruitment. I have two different examples and will post them when I get to them.

23 hours ago, typandy said:

According to the Llandudno Advertiser, in which this image appeared more than once, the photograph is of Private John Hughes 1875-1916.

John Hughes with a regimental number of 4533 served in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers 2nd Battalion and was part of the international force that was assembled to secure the Foreign Legations at Peking during the Boxer Rebellion in 1899/1900. He received a severe injury to his knee.

He rejoined in October 1914 but was discharged. He attested again on 21 August 1915 and assigned  "Class 3" to the 3rd (Reserve) RWF at Litherland 33316. He died on 6 May 1916 at Windy Knowe Military Hospital, Blundellsands of pneumonia aged 40.

Clearly the image is of a mature soldier. He appears to have good conduct stripes. But what is that circular cap badge?

Hughes John RWF (002).jpg

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/253512-unofficial-cap-badge/

This thread from 2017 has a couple of images of the badge described by Cymro. 

Edited by GWF1967

Yes, he’s a recalled reservist and it’s the tin badge worn by the RWF 3rd (Special Reseve) Battalion.  A similar badge was worn by the 6th SWB.  I think they were possibly organised by the Welsh Committee set up by Lloyd George, but I’m not sure.

Edited by FROGSMILE