Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chattri Memorial event 9th June 2019

MichaelBully

The annual Chattri Memorial event  will be on Sunday 9th June 2019: Dedicated to the Indian soldiers from the Western Front treated in Brighton during the Great War who died from their wounds, and were cremated on the Downs above Brighton, where the Chattri Memorial now stands. 

Service begins at the memorial  2pm for 2.30 pm starts. There will be Hindu, Sikh, Christian religious observances, and wreath laying from many organisations. The ceremony lasts around 45 minutes. 

Please note that The Chattri is quite high up, fairly exposed, and on agricultural land. Worth considering when choosing what to wear. 

There are no toilets or refreshment stalls at The Chattri, but there will be a gathering after the service at a venue nearby, with food and soft drinks,. 

For more information on the service and the Chattri generally, please visit 

http://chattri.org/service.aspx?sectionID=ms1&mv=1&p=

I used to see the Chattri on my drive over the Downs to work, it's a very dignified memorial. Alas, will not be able to attend, but thanks for posting.

Cheers, Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Shame that you can't attend Pat, but I will look out for web articles that feature the event and post relevant links here. 

Was also going to add that on the day itself, vehicles -including coaches- can drive up the hill and park near the monument itself. 

• 3 weeks later...

The event was very moving as always. So many diverse organisations represented.The Western Front Association were amongst those who laid a wreath.   Well done to the Chattri Memorial Group for all their work. 

There has not been a great deal of local coverage unfortunately. But pleased to see the Brighton and Hove News, a local independent paper, have given the event the attention that it deserves with a whole series of splendid photos. 

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2019/06/09/hundreds-remember-indias-war-sacrifice-at-brighton-memorial-service/

A colleague of mine was there and tweeted about it. I'd love to go, some time, but not sure about the terrain...