Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best British Divisions on the Western Front by Peter Simkins

David_Blanchard

On 01/05/2019 at 20:48, David_Blanchard said:

some sort of contemporary ranking system

This is intriguing but I have made no progress. It immediately brought to mind 2/10th Royal Scots who were 'mostly B2 men' when sent to Russia but this of course is a reference to medical category. It also seems odd to mix alphanumerical scales from 4 to A to A1?

The medical categories were revised in early 1916 from a simple ABCDE system to A1-A4, B1-B3, C1-C3, D and E - for details see the Official History, France and Belgium, 1916 Volume I, which defines each of the new categories. I suggest that the change was inspired partly by the introduction of conscription plus a need to keep under close review the number of wounded who might become available for further service. The medical statistics show that, of every six men who were wounded and passed into the care of the medical services, five returned to further service, and four of these five were fit enough to serve in the front lines.

Ron

Thanks Ron

I cannot but feel that seeking to rate divisions in order of importance is a unproductive exercise. Time, place, experience, circumstances, weather,  qualify of command and troops etc. Etc. were ever changing throughout the war.