Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
petwes

HMT/SS Caledonia Troopship

petwes

Can anyone help me with my confusion regarding the troopship Caledonia please? Am I correct in thinking there were two ships with the same name in 1916?  I have two war diaries recording the arrival of the ship in Marseilles having previously sailed from Alexandria.  The date of arrival is 14th April 1916, both diaries report disembarkation on the 15th.  However in one diary (48 Siege Battery) the ship is described as "S.S. Caledonia" in the other (32 HAG) the ship is called "H.T. Caledonia".  I assume H.T. and S.S. were used interchangeably.

My dilemma is that there is a passenger list available on Ancestry which marks the arrival in London of the P&O ship Caledonia from Bombay via Port Said, Marseilles and Gibraltar arriving on the 12th April!

Peter

Edited by petwes

Malcolm12hl

There were two British passenger liners named CALEDONIA afloat in 1916:

CALEDONIA, O.N.102390, P. & O. Steam Navigation Co., London (ship registered at Greenock), 7,572 gross tons, built 1894

CALEDONIA, O.N.121218, Anchor Line, Glasgow, 9,223 gross tons, built 1904
The P. & O. vessel was mined off Marseille on 14 December 1916, but repaired.  She was not taken up as a troopship until late 1917 and survived the war to be broken up in 1925.

The Anchor Line vessel served as a troopship from August 1914 and was sunk by U 65 in the Med. on 4.12.1916

I have not checked any of the primary sources, but I think it is highly likely that the ship arriving at Marseille on 14.4.1916 was the Anchor Line vessel.  H.M.T. and S.S. were used interchangeably quite a lot.

petwes

Many thanks to both of you.

Peter

Ralph Currell

Another possibility, if the two ships mentioned above don't pan out, is the Leyland liner Caledonian. This vessel arrived in Egypt with troops on 7 February 1916, though I have no details of her subsequent movements.

Regards,

Ralph