Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniforms

Raster Scanning

This picture is captioned Signal's Day, Haynes Park. I am aware HP, Bedfordshire was a Royal Engineers Signal Service Camp and wondered about this being men dressed as Germans for some sort of pretend battle. Can someone confirm what these uniforms represent (any information really) Do they look genuine and would what they are wearing have been worn together? I have to say they look convincing to a non German uniform expert.

s-l1600.jpeg

Edited by Raster Scanning

On 30 April 2019 at 11:07, Raster Scanning said:

This picture is captioned Signal's Day, Haynes Park. I am aware HP, Bedfordshire was a Royal Engineers Signal Service Camp and wondered about this being men dressed as Germans for some sort of pretend battle. Can someone confirm what these uniforms represent (any information really) Do they look genuine and would what they are wearing have been worn together? I have to say they look convincing to a non German uniform expert.

s-l1600.jpeg

It might be worth posting this in the German Uniform thread.

Edited by GWF1967

Hello!

To me they are not Germans. They look like british men in german uniforms making a joke...

Almost certainly British men, probably dressed as ‘enemy’ forces during manoeuvres, perhaps using some small stock of captured uniform.  I imagine that this would most likely be later in the war.  Typically there has been some effort to exaggerate the perceived appearance of typical German soldiers, perhaps as a form of humour.  Notice the mixed uniform and pickelhaubes with a lone 1916 stahlhelm.  Genuine German soldiers were invariably smartly and uniformly dressed.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks all. Yes I have no doubt they are dressed up. I am just surprised that a training depot in rural Bedfordshire had stock of uniforms and equipment. The obvious clue to me is the fake wounds with 'blood'