Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dardinelles

peter blackwell

Can anyone please tell me ho many ships and men were involved in the dardinelles campaign?

thanks pete

• Admin

Naval Operations Volume II the Official History details the ships and losses to the Royal Navy in the Dardanelles Campaign

https://archive.org/details/navaloperations00newbgoog/page/n8

In addition there were lighters, hospital ships etc

There are any number of decent books on the campaign, or as noted above wikipedia will give a good overview and bibliography.

Your question is ambiguous, do you mean Naval Personnel?  Do you mean total combatants on both sides?

On the Allied side, 'Statistics' breaks down British Empire army casualties as Regular Army, Territorial Force, Australian, New Zealand, Newfoundland and Indian 'native'.

The French army and navy were also engaged. 

Ken

Thanks pete, sorry i meant naval personnel, I should have said

Edited by peter blackwell

Cheers pete

• 2 weeks later...

The Royal Naval contribution to land forces consisted of 2 Brigades of the Royal Naval Division. Each Brigade consisted of 4 Battalions so 8 in total. Each Battalion was approximately 800 men. So Naval land forces were initially approx 6400. In addition there were eventually 4 Battalions of RMLI, Plymouth, Chatham, Portsmouth and Deal adding approximately another 3200 men making a total of 9600.  I’ve no idea how many sea going sailors were committed. 

Edited by Lawryleslie

Cheers pete