Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with 1902 other ranks uniform (KRRC)

Hello, first post here.  I live over in the states and bought this uniform about thirty years ago.  I have a pretty nice collection of U.S. Army Great War uniforms, gear, and equipment but just one British Uniform.  This has sat in my collection for many years so I took it down this week to take a more detailed look.  The more I looked at the uniform the more I began to question it's authenticity.  First off, for a uniform dated 1915 it is in incredible condition looking almost new.  However I do have some U.S. uniforms that look that good so its possible.  However when I looked the front buttons of the tunic I saw three different button makers, and one button was more worn than the others.  Two of the buttons are unmarked on the back, two read ENGLISH MADE, and the worn one reads JAs  ??OVR HALESOWEN.  It certainly raised a question in my mind why a tunic that looks almost new would have mismatched buttons.  The buttons were also sewn on and I'm not sure if that is correct or not.  A web search failed to come up with any good pictures of what a correct interior of the uniform should look like including the proper stamps. It also has a black cord on the left arm but it is not buttoned to the epaulet. I don't know what the black shoulder cord represents.

As you can see in the photos below there is a WD stamp with a date of 1915.  There is another WD stamp with what looks like 788 beneath it.  Under the right lower pocket is a 1 stamp and a handwritten 69 in ink.   On every panel of the uniform is a large white stamp of 207 K.  There are two ribbons on the uniform. One being the 1914-1915 Star and the other being the British War Medal.  The ribbons are centered over the left pocket and I'm not sure if that is correct.

I think there are three possibilities.  One is that it is an authentic 1902 tunic of the KRRC.  The second is that it is an authentic 1902 tunic but someone changed the buttons and insignia to make it look like a real KRRC uniform.  Or lastly, the uniform is a pretty good reproduction that someone has placed original buttons and insignia on.  So I'm reaching out the experts. What exactly do I have here?   So here are the pictures.  If there is another view someone needs please let me know.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Marty

20190428_113240_resized.jpg

20190428_113335_resized.jpg

20190428_113343_resized.jpg

20190428_113432_resized.jpg

20190428_113542_resized.jpg

It's an original post-war SD jacket adopted in 1921 that has been tinkered with to make it look more like a WW1 example. The cheesy huge broad arrow and date are just fake, and the lining and other details give away it's post-war. These doctored SD jackets were quite common at the time you bought it unfortunately.

I agree, this is not a WWI jacket. In my opinion, it is more likely a WWII era service dress jacket made to look WWI..

Ypres1915

51 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

It's an original post-war SD jacket adopted in 1921 that has been tinkered with to make it look more like a WW1 example. The cheesy huge broad arrow and date are just fake, and the lining and other details give away it's post-war. These doctored SD jackets were quite common at the time you bought it unfortunately.

What he said.

Cheers,

GT.

Gentlemen, thanks for the quick replies.  I never thought about an original post war uniform being modified like that.  What a shame to ruin what otherwise would be a very nice post war SD tunic.  I wish there was a way to restore it back to its original configuration. I certainly can't remove the fake date stamp but at a minimum I could remove all the buttons and insignia and find a set of correct buttons.  Or it may be of some use as is to a Great War reenactor.  However if I decide to move it on I'll X out the date and write "fake stamp" next to it in permanent ink to make sure it doesn't get passed off later on as an original Great War tunic.  Luckily I bought it very long ago for not much money so no damage there.