Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI British Smock (Blouse Burberry Suit Northern Russia Intervention)

Ypres1915

Excellent news, I thought it most likely that the IWM would have a specimen in their collection.  The sheer scale of their WW1 artefacts is quite extraordinary, but with only a fraction on display.  I feel that they have been very slow with digitising and photographing their many items, but I was told this was down to funding and the priorities that they have been set by trustees, etc.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Jerry,

Thanks …. It must be... I'm very excited to add it to my collection. I have several North Russia groups that it will display nicely with.

Ypres1915

I am very excited about discovering the identity of the smock I found. I really appreciate all the suggestions and input. Without the ideas and your help this would have been a dead end. Again thanks to all who chimed in on this thread.

Ypres1915

Edited by Ypres1915

4 hours ago, Ypres1915 said:

I'm very excited to add it to my collection...

Not surprised - it's a great thing. All you need now are is the hood and trousers!

And well done for penetrating the IWM cataloguing: it's not easy to navigate in the least. 

Cheers,

GT.

I'll keep looking for them …. if anyone has a spare hood or trousers.... send me a message:D I guess if you're lucky enough to own one piece of the set, the blouse would be the keeper!! Thanks for all your guidance GT

Ypres1915 

That is great news what a fantastic piece. 

You should "in theory" now be able to contact the IWM with that link and acquire a photograph.  I thought the whole purpose of having the collection "online" was for this very reason, a bit pointless without any photographs!

Be aware though some of their descriptions are well off! 

Regards  

From the IWM photo archive (Q55574), captioned "Exhibition of Special Equipment for troops operating in Northern Russia. Buckingham Palace, 21 October 1918".

Pete

IMG_1280.PNG

Good picture. I think I read this kit wasn't much thought of by those who had to use it and they typically reverted to regular issue.

Great photo !!! It's an odd set up the IWM has. It's easy to find photos if you know the name of the item …. without an ID you need to guess … and then hope. If you knew the name before you searched, the search wouldn't be necessary. Without photos it's even more difficult.

Ypres1915 

Edited by Ypres1915

See the RAF chap on the left of pg. 55 wearing smock.

The smock was part of the 'Shackleton kit' designed by famed polar explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton based on the equipment he used in Antarctica and issued to British troops in North Russia 1918-19. It is a nice find and I would think quite scarce, how many have survived 100 years later?

I posted an article on polar explorers and arctic warfare in North Russia on page 4 of the following thread:

55.jpg

40.jpg

Fantastic photos!!! The RAF chap seems to be wearing the exact piece I found.....

Ypres1915

Edited by Ypres1915

On 13/05/2019 at 05:42, wrightdw said:

See the RAF chap on the left of pg. 55 wearing smock.

55.jpg

And both wearing fug boots, which you wouldn't have thought of as an issue item - yet ideal in the circumstances.

Cheers,

GT.

• 4 years later...

Although I realise that this is a historical thread, it still appears during searches on the subject matter, and for continuity, I just thought I would add the following photo from the IWM archives in support of the conclusion that this top is consistent with the type issued to troops in North Russia 1918-1919.

Soldier wearing Arctic dress, North Russia Q 17026

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205251705

Soldier wearing Arctic dress, North Russia Q17026.png