Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Coldstreamer's DCM

Old Harry

This is an enquiry for a friend. A family legend is that her grandfather had won the Victoria Cross in WWI, and she wanted to find out if it was true. I did some digging and found the following:

He was Charles Capewell Darlow, born 29 July 1894 at Ecclesfield, Yorks. He served in the Coldstream Guards as a private and won, not the VC, but the Distinguished Conduct Medal. I managed to find his medal card (attached) on the National Archives site, but that is all; his service records were destroyed in World War II and I have learned that the Coldstream Guards no longer hold any records of their soldiers.

There are War Diaries of the three Coldstream Guards battalions in the National Archives, but I have no idea in which one he served. There seems no point in going through these diaries without finding out when, where and why he won the DCM, but I can't find the award citation anywhere as he is not listed by the London Gazette.

Can anyone help, please?

medal.jpg

• Admin

Hi 

The London Gazette has him here https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30879/supplement/10286 for gallantry whilst acting as a stretcher bearer (and wounded himself).

If you search these records you may find out where it occurred https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/r/C14595

David

Edit: this is the download you need, it is free but large https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2970516

I note that on his MIC and the 15 Star roll that it was originally referenced surname as "Garlow" before correction.

Perhaps a search for that in service records may help?

image.png.4e5c45f9e48e69334fddea4ba314a4d1.png

regards

Jon

54 minutes ago, Old Harry said:

I have learned that the Coldstream Guards no longer hold any records of their soldiers.

I anticipate a response from Coldstreamer soon.

As I understand it, these records were transferred in August 2018 to the MOD, so you could apply to the Army Personnel Centre, Kentigern House, Glasgow. Hopefully his service record survived and is with them now.

Thanks,
Keith

I never cease to be amazed at what a wonderful facility this is, and how helpful Forum subscribers are. Many thanks for the info; I am sure my friend will be thrilled at the details of her grandfather's bravery.

If I might chip in with the place and dates of the action for which he was awarded the D.C.M., this notification also states that he was 3rd Battalion at the time.

Darlow, Pte. C., D.C.M. action.JPG

Not only does this mention the battalion, but the time period and location annotated in pencil are further nuggets of gold dust.
Thanks for posting! 

Hi,

You should be able to download a copy of the CG WW1 Regimental History via this link.

https://m.hathitrust.org/Record/000442395

3rd Battalion activities in March 1918 will be recorded in Volume 2. They had left Guards Division by that time and were with 4th Guards Brigade in 31st Division.

Can I ask where did you get the information that his service papers were destroyed during WW2?

Steve

EDIT TO ADD

A quick look at the Regimental History suggests 3rd CG were in action in the Ervillers Valley 24/25th March 1918.

Edited by tullybrone

13 hours ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

You should be able to download a copy of the CG WW1 Regimental History via this link.

https://m.hathitrust.org/Record/000442395

3rd Battalion activities in March 1918 will be recorded in Volume 2. They had left Guards Division by that time and were with 4th Guards Brigade in 31st Division.

Can I ask where did you get the information that his service papers were destroyed during WW2?

Steve

That was an assumption on my part because I could not find them. As I was doing this research in a hurry alongside my own, I was probably careless!

Thanks for the other information.

Roy.

• 2 weeks later...

to clarify, a great many papers where lost in ww2 due to bombing, fire and following water damage which is why they are not at national archives or fmp/ancestry

the regiment USED to have the papers for the men - sadly these are no longer stored at RHQ, you could apply to get them but it will cost you £30

some war diaries are better than others, for the CG, the 3rd are the worst for info IMHO

Thank you, but the lady concerned has indicated that she has all the information she needs, so I am not conducting any further research on this subject.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Roy.