Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books on WWI Initial Officer Training?

boctok

I'm looking please for recommendations on books that have a good survey of initial officer training... I have the Battalion war diary for my grandfather, and so once in the field I have a reasonable sense of where he was and what he was exposed to. But what was a 'typical' experience for day one for an officer? How did training proceed? 

I am interested in what the 'typical' experience was... how they were treated... how long it took etc from the first days on the parade ground, weapons training etc.

And upon arrival in France, I understand it was typical for officers to have another course of training before heading to the front. (Etaples was one such base I understand).

My grandfather's history was end 1914 / start 1915 with the 2nd Bn East Surrey Regiment. (Shorncliffe etc)

Arriving in France 22 April 1915 - ironically the day that gas was first used at Ypres.

There seems to be a gap between his arrival in France, and his arrival with the regiment in Ypres. My assumption is that there was a fortnight of training in France. It seems that the Surreys had a base of sorts at Rouen? 

Later he had a special course at the Machine Gun Corps school in Grantham, and possibly another in situ in France.

If anyone can recommend some titles I'd much appreciate.

Patrick

Patrick

John Lewis-Stempel's book 'Six Weeks' follows many junior officers from their school/university days to joining up & then through their training to the front line. It's very detailed & well researched with plenty of eye-witness accounts, & should cover most if not all of the experiences you mentioned in your post.

Nick

7 hours ago, Nick Thornicroft said:

Patrick

John Lewis-Stempel's book 'Six Weeks' follows many junior officers from their school/university days to joining up & then through their training to the front line. It's very detailed & well researched with plenty of eye-witness accounts, & should cover most if not all of the experiences you mentioned in your post.

Nick

Nick,

Thanks for that insight.  Would the general training curriculum outlined in "Six Weeks" also apply to officers commissioned from the ranks?

Many thanks,

Mark

Mark

I'm fairly certain that it would. 'Six Weeks' tends to focus mainly on the individuals who became officers straight after leaving school or university. I believe that at different stages during the war (depending upon how desperate the need was for new officers) the length of time spent training fluctuated, but the general basics were still adhered to.

Nick

Thanks Nick.  That's pretty much what I expected.  Appreciate your clarification.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Admin
On 27/04/2019 at 06:17, boctok said:

'm looking please for recommendations on books that have a good survey of initial officer training... I have the Battalion war diary for my grandfather, and so once in the field I have a reasonable sense of where he was and what he was exposed to. But what was a 'typical' experience for day one for an officer? How did training proceed? 

As always a good place to start is the LLT

1. Officer training https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/training-to-be-a-soldier/officer-training-in-the-british-army-of-1914-1918/

and,

2.re your query as to a 'base of sorts' Rouen was the Infantry Base Depot for the 28th Division at the time of your grandfather's embarkation

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/other-aspects-of-order-of-battle/infantry-base-depots-in-france-1914-1918/

There was no one route to a Commission however in 'A Nation in Arms' Becket and Simpson have an essay on 'The Officers' which although not strong on the syllabus has a good reflection of the attitudes to the Regular Army to the 'temporary Gentlemen'.

Between August 1914 and March 1915 20,577 junior officers were commissioned from the OTC, and 12,290 men who had been trained in the OTC served in the ranks.  

The OTC was considered to provide men 'of intellectual and moral attainments for officers'.  Very few were commissioned from the ranks at this time unless they were amongst those who had served in the OTC.  New Army officers, especially in locally raised battalions tended to be the managers and supervisors in peacetime.

This COMEC  paper discusses the OTC and its training syllabus, again in the period mentioned this is the type of training a junior officer would have followed whether or not he had been in the OTC prior to August 1914.

http://www.comec.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/occasional_paper_no_4_no_crop.pdf

I have no quibble with Stempel's book as an introduction except for the oft quoted and inaccurate title, but it is popular history based mainly on secondary sources and it has to be said not especially well received on the forum

You mention your gfather was at Shorncliffe, as was Charles Sorley around the same time.   Sorley wrote a number of letters from there which although they do not detail training reflect the attitude and confusion of the time

https://archive.org/details/lettersofcharles00sorluoft/page/n8

Training was continuous as the Army adapted to war, and leaflets and booklets published on tactics and deployment, above all the junior officer had to learn how the Army worked and communicated.

Ken

Thanks very much Ken - much appreciated - a lot to get my teeth into there.

I didn't realise that Rouen was the base at Divisional level, not Regimental level. That's very helpful.

Many thanks!

Patrick

• 1 year later...

Hello Patrick - late to this thread. The best summary of officer selection and training is a chapter of that name in the late Charles Messenger's 'A Call to Arms'.  There is further detail in a chapter on officers in the Beckett, Connolly and Bowman book on the British Army in the First World War.  There is also a section in Gary Sheffield's 'Leadership in the trenches' and he is good on the experience of the OCB system.

If you don't mind waiting a few years my thesis will give chapter and verse on this subject.