Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner 30746 Percy Seaman 76th Brigade RFA

John French

I am researching the war record of Gunner 30746 Percy Seaman of 76th Brigade Royal Field Artillery who died of wounds on July 10 1916 at the No.10 CCS (according to the Register of Soldiers Effects), which was reportedly located at Remy sidings on that date.  Mysteriously he was buried at the Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery in Belgium (near Ypres).  76th Brigade was attached to the Guards Division which was not engaged on the Somme until later in July, though the artillery may have been targeted in counter battery fire from the start of the battle.  Can anyone suggest why his body might have been moved 50 miles for burial or have I got the location of No.10 CCS wrong?

John, thanks for that clarification.  The Guards Division was also engaged at the Battle of Loos in September 1915, but that is also a fair distance from Lijssenthoek.  I cannot find any mention of 76th Brigade being deployed to the Ypres area.  How far would a might a casualty be transported to a CCS?

In early July1916 the Division was on the northern flank of the Ypres Salient, the Artillery were mainly engaged on targets in Pilckem and Langemarck