Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wearing relative's medals

SaracenSix

I had a great uncle who served in the ASC. I have seen his medal index card and he was awarded the BWM & Victory Medal.  I do not have these medals but would like to  know if I would be entitled to wear replicas or minaturns to events . Thanks

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

I believe it is acceptable to wear them on your right hand side. 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Moonraker said:

Royal British Legion guidance

Scroll down to "Can I wear family medals?"

Moonraker

Thanks for that moonraker,  clearer understanding now.

• 2 weeks later...

You may be interested in the discussion in ‘Replica Medals’ 1 June in Medals. Sorry useless at links

• Admin
10 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

You may be interested in the discussion in ‘Replica Medals’ 1 June in Medals. Sorry useless at links

Here's the link 

• 2 weeks later...

This has been discussed before after a great great Grandchild was castigated for wearing his great great grandfather’s medals at Remembrance. It’s bollox all this RBL directives etc. You can wear your relatives medals anytime you wish there is no law against it and you don't have to be first generation. To me it’s all about remembrance and educating our young children and keeping them in their memory. I have several medals and hope my grand children wear them. To me where you wear them is irrelevant, left breast, right breast who really cares. There is no such thing as entitlement to wear relatives Medal ....just wear them with pride and remembrance. 

Edited by Lawryleslie

9 minutes ago, Lawryleslie said:

This has been discussed before after a great great Grandchild was castigated for wearing his great great grandfather’s medals at Remembrance. It’s bollox all this RBL directives etc. You can wear your relatives medals anytime you wish there is no law against it and you don't have to be first generation. To me it’s all about remembrance and educating our young children and keeping them in their memory. I have several medals and hope my grand children wear them. To me where you wear them is irrelevant, left breast, right breast who really cares. There is no such thing as entitlement to wear relatives Medal ....just wear them with pride and remembrance. 

I wholeheartedly agree, well said.

One point in favour of wearing replica medals is that doing so avoids the danger of losing the originals.

Kath.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2019 at 12:07, Kath said:

One point in favour of wearing replica medals is that doing so avoids the danger of losing the originals.

Kath.

Yup, and it can be tricky if you have had the originals framed.

Mike

Dear All,

Here is how to do it - for example on Anzac Day.

Kindest regards,

Kim.Kim_groups_small.jpg.abb4bbc249c4b98e16ba9084dab710e4.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 27/05/2019 at 19:43, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

Here is how to do it - for example on Anzac Day.

Kindest regards,

Kim.Kim_groups_small.jpg.abb4bbc249c4b98e16ba9084dab710e4.jpg

Not necessarily you can wear them however you wish. RBL "directives" are nonsense.......they are guidance for those who wish to conform.  

Dear All, and Lawryleslie,

As a medal collector, I would be the last one to want to be dogmatic about the subject, including the wearing - either by the recipient or the next-of-kin.

I did not refer to any directives, but wore my own Australian Defence Medal and unofficial CMF medal (the latter was received first!), on the left breast, and my late Dad's MC group on the right breast, both at a certain height or level, making a discernable "line" between the two.

This form of wearing can be seen in photographs from at least the 1920s. Only lately, does one notice recipients wearing medals worn in a clip-holder tucked into the suit pocket - and generally, medals worn at a lower level (even by Royalty, seen on certain occasions).

Having said that, of course one can wear these remembrances of the past, however one wishes. Some wear only the miniatures (as my brother and his wife did at a recent Anzac Day wreath-laying: POST newspapers). The main thing: wear their medals757567697_AnzacDay25Apr2019PennyandMike.JPG.aa3d47b940813852a065315c2ebdd8af.JPGand remember them!

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

Thanks Kim for this. Your last comment is how I would wish my own military medals to be worn when I’ve gone. Remembrance, pride and education is paramount in my opinion. I do have a bee in my bonnet about the RBL directives, and I apologise for inferring that you in anyway were referring to them in your OP. Few years ago I was witness to an RBL official at Plymouth War Memorial castigate a young lad for wearing his Great Great Grandfathers WW1 Medals "on the wrong side". Incensed at her insensitivity,  I stepped in and was eventually asked to leave the memorial by this RBL official. Naturally I refused to leave and  just walked away. 

Dear Lawryleslie,

Yes, I fully understand your feelings.

It is madness to be dogmatic about anything, and that wretched official (I don't even know what RBL stands for, frankly) was being, well, officious!

Indeed: wear them, and remember those brave (and in my late father's case, extremely laconic) men. A glance at the miniature medals worn correctly by my brother and sister-in-law says it all. It is off-topic, but both recipients were early volunteers from Australia and wartime officers only. Both decorated. The one, Adjutant of an Infantry battalion, the other, a Bomber pilot...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I believe that Australia and New Zealand permit the wearing of relative’s medals on the right side at special occasions such as Remembrance Day and ANZAC Day. Other Commonwealth countries such as the United Kingdom and Canada do not.  You should govern yourself accordingly and do what you feel is appropriate.

All the best,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2019 at 19:29, Waggoner said:

I believe that Australia and New Zealand permit the wearing of relative’s medals on the right side at special occasions such as Remembrance Day and ANZAC Day. Other Commonwealth countries such as the United Kingdom and Canada do not.  You should govern yourself accordingly and do what you feel is appropriate.

All the best,

Gary

Doesn't that imply that, by giving advice on the subject, the RBL (with emphasis on the "R") are encouraging disrespect to the original issuing authority?

Only speaking UK here - I wouldn't have the first clue about what is considered to be "bad form" in Canada.

Warmest regards,

Mike