RaySearching

Who lived at this address from MIC  in 1911

McConnell / McDonald / Riordon ?

snip.JPG.a192f9e7e4b6dfbbab0e2460e4acc527.JPG

or a link to the census record on Ancestry would be appreciated

Thanks in advance 

regards Ray

Hi Ray,

I used to work in Scunthorpe, a place made up of 5 villages and Crosby was one of them if I remember rightly. So there was no street/road called 'Old Crosby', that was the name of an entire area which was originally a village now incorporated into the town, although if any Scunthorpe resident wants to shoot me down on this I would rapidly retreat!

The Crosby War Memorial is in the grounds of a local school (Crosby Primary School), and somewhere I have a locally produced book about it, so if you are interested in a certain name I could dig it out and check for you, if you wish.

Mike.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Alan24 said:

I might be able to save some time as I have already been there an done that and browsed  the whole summary book for Scunthorpe all with no success

It seems that "Old Crosby, Scunthorpe" was all that is quoted in the address line.

Then again it could just be me!

3 hours ago, Michael Peck said:

I have a locally produced book about it, so if you are interested in a certain name I could dig it out and check for you, if you wish.

Thanks for the reply's Mike Alan and David I drew a blank with identifying the next of kin on the Mic with the Old Crosby Address maybe they were not residing there in 1911

The soldier I am trying to identify  

served as Pte 23889 John McDonnell 5th Yorks  But I believe his true name may have been John McDonald

listed on SDGW as McDonnell  born Barking London enlisted Middlesbrough

CWGC as McDonnell

The soldiers effects name Elizabeth Riordon as the legatee of his effects and Edward Riordon as the guardian of Elizabeth

Now the pension records show him listed as 23889 John McDonald  ( Edward McDonald of Little Sisters Home High Barnes Sunderland  relationship father

He has two MICs McDonnell / McDonald which are linked

Images courtesy of ancestry

368616145_McConnellSolderseffects.JPG.4dc5b0e60a7935476fd7e34dde62878a.JPG

840248739_McDonaldpension.JPG.37cdc7620f9065eaf93dd7dc8aee2e82.JPG

Regards Ray

Sorry Ray, 

Nothing in the Clan Donald RoH other than the info you’ve already stated. The book is handier for bravery award citations but attached the page anyway and suspect they used SDGW to compile the Roll of Honour section. It is just stated in the foreward that ‘official records’ were used. There seems to be a transcription error of service number as shown here 23899

79F21F6E-D755-43BA-A1BB-70BB209493D4.jpeg.f12cfc12a2e4029e72c30e024c229df1.jpeg

Edited by seaforths
Typo

Hi Seaforths  Thanks for the interest 

Yes I agree it looks like the entry from SDGW  (shown as McDonnell)

his entry in the  medal roll as follows shows McDonald

813944841_McdonaldMR.JPG.1ea786303b25daff225f8503196e989b.JPG

regards Ray

You’re welcome Ray. I included the full page as there seems to be a few more of your ‘Boro boys in there.

It’s a bit complicated with the clans and Clan Donald was no different. To try and put it in a way that’s understandable, there were branches of the clan that had different geographical names and leadership. Even the early records show that while the clan chieftains were well educated, the same chieftain could sign his name with a different spelling over various documents because they weren’t sure how to represent their name in English. As education kicked in at lower levels in later years, the same thing occured and names/spellings were used interchangeably. If my memory serves me right, it was the Glengarry branch that mainly adopted the McDonnell/MacDonnell spelling. Sometimes, for example, the spelling could change from Mc to the more Anglicised Mac and back again by the same family head over different census. It’s a nightmare trying to do family history and work out from which geographical branch you might come from because of migration into the major cities for employment.

Morning Ray.

Got the book out (called 'The Crosby Angel. A Community's War Memorial') but it appears to be no help to you at all. I can find no mention of the name McDonnell or McDonald (or even Riordon).

The time period we are talking about is, of course, when the steelworks (and supporting industries) were expanding rapidly and dragging people in from all over the country looking for work which, when you are trying to identify your soldier, is just what you don't want to hear. Sorry!

Mike.

There are Riordans on 1939 register I had a quick look will check again as I am sure there was an Edward born 1884 living in Scunthorpe so might be a connection?

Thanks for the replies

Summery

Served as McDonnell   True name  McDonald ?

Listed as Born Barking London

Had a son Edward McDonald aged 28 in 1918 which indicates that he was a mature soldier

with a minimum age of 46  (based on the age of his son)

The legatee of his effects was a young girl called Elizabeth Riordon /Riordan

Who’s father was Edward Riordon/Riordan

The balance of Johns effects were invested in saving certificates for the benefit of Elizabeth Riordon

Which she would have received when she came of age

Elizabeth may have been a relative a niece perhaps

Not a lot to go on

Regards Ray

The Edward Riordan in Scunthorpe On 1939 register could well be the father mentioned above. I think the age was about right. I also saw a London connection for an ER on ancestry so will check again but wasn’t sure if it was him 

• Admin

I have browsed through the Scunthorpe TMA-TMC 1939 Register entries and cannot see an open entry for 89 Old Crosby (the even numbers are there but the higher odd numbers appear missing or closed?).

The only Riordon is Edward born 1885 widowed living in Ferry Road with his son Bernard.

Someone else may have better luck....

I may have got this very wrong but doesn't the pension card indicate a date of birth for John McDonald of 1890. Most other cards like this that I have seen tend to give the birth date of the parent in that space.

if it is 1890 then there is a possible family with a John McDonald, born Barking with a father Edward showing up in Middlesborough in 1901 & 1911

Dave

IMG_4528.PNG

IMG_4529.PNG

30 minutes ago, dink999 said:

I may have got this very wrong but doesn't the pension card indicate a date of birth for John McDonald of 1890. Most other cards like this that I have seen tend to give the birth date of the parent in that space.

if it is 1890 then there is a possible family with a John McDonald, born Barking with a father Edward showing up in Middlesborough in 1901 & 1911

Dave

point noted

Having waded through several hundred pension records recently 

the claimant's age be it mother or fathers age is generally shown

I am sure there will be exceptions, and this may be one of them

In this case it could be read that Edward is the father of John and not Edward the son of John

Johns birth of 1890 given,  instead of the claimant Edward

Ray

will check out the family on the census

its a good a lead as any

Perhaps Mary, John’s mother, had the maiden name of Riordan or even O’Riordan and so perhaps a niece or cousin. My next door neighbour in Coulby Newham had the surname Riordan. He told me that his ancestors came to Middlesbrough from Ireland and the Irish had problems getting employment but Irish Catholics had an even worse time so they dropped the ‘O’ from their surname so as not to be identified as Catholics.

Hi Seaforths

I am leaning towards the The John McDonald, father Edward on the censuses in Daves post no 14 to be our soldier

The Riordan connection may be closer to home

The 1911 census shows an Edward Riordan wife Harriet Elizabeth Riordan (nee Denton) residing at 15 Granville St Mbro the couple married in Middlesbrough in 1910

In July 1911 they had a daughter Elizabeth Riordan

Its possible that John lodged with the Riordan family prior to enlisting   hence leaving the young Elizabeth Riordan  a legacy,   pure guesswork and speculation of course

I have put him down on my list for a look up in the local paper at the archives sometime in the future There may be a death notice in the paper in 1918 to confirm my hunch

The 1911 next of kin address in Scunthorpe may be a married sisters address

Regards Ray

As an aside I got slightly side tracked  whilst researching John McDonald  having come across a soldier who served and was known as McGuire true name McQuire  with a half brother called Felix Donnelly who also served The Scots and Irish are not the easiest to research

regards Ray

riordan.JPG.74ad16ea30c0c2b839d81d7bdcb1595e.JPG

Edited by RaySearching
adding image