Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help understanding a pilots training record

DMarritt

Hello

I'm researching the history of a presentation aircraft "City of Hull" and the pilots connected to the two aircraft that carried this name.

Of particular interest is William Stanley Jenkins who flew and ditched the original aircraft (fortunately he survived and went on to be an ace). I've so far found this pilot started his service in the Canadian Grenadier Guards, reached the rank of corporal and then transferred to the RFC and became a 2nd Lt.

I've downloaded his Air76 and an trying to understand his training record. This document appears to show the following;

Outgoing Auth
Unit From Unit To Date
08/08/1917 S Farnboro' 2.O.C.W 08/08/1917
  2.0.C.W 2 S of A 21/09/1917
14/12/1917 2 S of A 31.T.S 30/11/1917
21/12/1917 31.T.S. 8 Y Sqdn 21/12/1917
13/03/1918 8 Y Sqdn 40 T.S. 13/03/1918

I believe S Farnboro is simply a shortening of South Farnborough and then 2 Officer Cadet Wing

Is 2 S of A - 2 School of ?

Then 31 Training Squadron but I'm stumped by 8 Y

Then on to 40 Training Squadron?

I would also really appreciate an overview of what is covered in the different stages of training. I'm guessing that OCW and School would be ground based and flying starts at 31 TS?

I'm also interested to know more about the application and selection process for pilots. Jenkins civilian occupation was a window dresser. So how would an infantry corporal in France go about applying to become a pilot?

Thanks

2 S of A. It's the second school of military aeronautics based at Oxford. I think the Y after 8 is supposed to be a T so 8th Training Squadron based at Netheravon. His Canadian service record seems to imply that he travelled to England with the intention of gaining a commission, as he seems to  be mechanically minded owning quite an innovative car for the time(a Metz),  he probably saw enlisting with the RFC as a pilot as his best opportunity. A DFC and bar attests to his flying abilities.

I hadn't spotted the car on his will form. I expect that would not be a common possession for an ordinary soldier.

Am I allowed to post an image of part of the record in question, the "Y" does not match "T" handwriting in the same line and the use of Sqdn rather than T.S. seems inconsistent?

I might be answering my own question here. Looking at a Wikipedia page for William Stanley Jenkins, 87 Sqn in Canada is mentioned as a training unit. However his Wikipedia entry also has him as 2 i/c of a siege battalion in January 1918. So I think the Wiki entry has him mixed up with another W S Jenkins.

Could he have returned to Canada between December and March for training, or was 87 Sqn in the UK?

You're right it's a 7 not a T same as the 7s in 1917, 87th Squadron was based in the UK until April 1918. You can post a small clip of his training record, I think you're supposed to acknowledge the copyright holder. 

So here is the relevant part of his Air 76 from TNA.

I'm very interested to find out more about the stages of pilot training and the locations of the training units.

Thanks

tr.png

15 hours ago, DMarritt said:

So here is the relevant part of his Air 76 from TNA.

I'm very interested to find out more about the stages of pilot training and the locations of the training units.

Thanks

tr.png

Hi

2 Officer Cadet Wing - Hursley Park, Winchester.

2 School of Aeronautics - Oxford.

31 Training Squadron - Wyton.

87 Sqn. - Hounslow. It would appear he was with the squadron when it was equipping with Sopwith Dolphins (from December 1917), but left before it went to France on 2 April 1918.

40 Training Squadron - Port Meadow.

The OH, Volume V, page 425, puts the training period for pilots at this time as about 8 months for each pupil.  Cadet Wing - 2 mths.  School of Military Aeronautics - 2 mths.  Elementary Training Squadron 1 mth.  Higher Training Squadron - 2 mths.  Post Graduate Course - 1 mth.  That actually makes 9 months!  However, it is all approximate time periods and the actual time in each stage of training may depend on various factors.

Mike  

Mike,

Adds up to just the 8 months for me!

Errol

17 hours ago, Errol Martyn said:

Mike,

Adds up to just the 8 months for me!

Errol

Hi

I was obviously away from school on the day we learnt to add up.

Mike

Thanks for the information so far.

There is one more part of his record I can't make out on 13th May, looks like 2 S of something. Could that be 2 School of Flying & Gunnery?

tr2.png

Edited by DMarritt

2 hours ago, DMarritt said:

Thanks for the information so far.

There is one more part of his record I can't make out on 13th May, looks like 2 S of something. Could that be 2 School of Flying & Gunnery?

tr2.png

Hi

The No. 2 School of Aerial Fighting and Gunnery was formed on 6.5.18 at  Marske, out of  No. 2 School of Aerial Fighting (Driffield) and No. 4 (Aux) School of Aerial Gunnery (Marske).  This was redesignated No. 2 Fighting School on 29.5.18.  Its equipment included Sopwith Camels.

Mike