Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5 Battalion Yorkshire Battalion

Mick M

I cannot find the above battalions war diary in ancestry so am probably not entering the correct search details. I am particularly interested in the events of 27.5.18 when Sgt John Sutherland DCM MM 13007 was taken prisoner. 

He was awarded his MM for bravery either helping wounded or delivering messages on or shortly after 1.7.16 of the 35 MM's awarded to the division 15 went to 7th Battalion.....following woundshe eventually returned to France in 1918 and received his DCM for taking control of 2 Lewis Gun sections and directing the action. Unfortunately the details of his award do not give a date for the action but obviously before his date of capture and a trawl through th diary may prove fruitful..

Any steer very welcome ta.

Have you tried this?

WO 95/2836 5 Battalion Yorkshire Regiment 1915 Apr. - 1918 July  

It can be downloaded from the Kew website, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for about £3.50. You may need to add a suffix such as /1, /2 etc as there are two or more diaries in each file. If you have access to Ancestry you may be able to get it free.

War Diaries rarely mention individuals by name other than officers, but numbers of casualties each day are nearly always given, and the location of the unit, with a short description of its activities, is given on each day. Gallantry awards are often mentioned, but not always. He was probably taken prisoner during the third phase of the Germans' spring offensive on the Aisne,

Good hunting!

Ron

22 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Have you tried this?

WO 95/2836 5 Battalion Yorkshire Regiment 1915 Apr. - 1918 July  

It can be downloaded from the Kew website, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for about £3.50. You may need to add a suffix such as /1, /2 etc as there are two or more diaries in each file. If you have access to Ancestry you may be able to get it free.

War Diaries rarely mention individuals by name other than officers, but numbers of casualties each day are nearly always given, and the location of the unit, with a short description of its activities, is given on each day. Gallantry awards are often mentioned, but not always. He was probably taken prisoner during the third phase of the Germans' spring offensive on the Aisne,

Good hunting!

Ron

Thanks Ron, I have Ancestry so am trying to save the 3.50....The amount of research I do makes it very expensive to use NA. I have had this problem before sometimes the diaries are part of a Brigade collection and I'm not that clever at searching! Good steer about the Aisne I have a good read on that one.

Mick.

The award of the D.C.M. was for his actions on 10/11 April 1918 N.W. of Sailly sur Lys, as per the annotated citation in the pre-publication gazette notification below.

Sutherland, J., 13007, D.C.M. action.JPG

Brilliant many thanks. The  citation copy I found did not have this detail on....

4 hours ago, RaySearching said:

That is excellent thank you very much.

4 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Sutherland was also a miner from co Durham.

Hi Mick,

On Ancestry the 5th Battalion war diary for the period April 1915 to 31.7.1918 is here.

Findmypast have a couple of 'hospital' admission/discharge records which appear to relate to his time with the 7th Battalion, and read:

First name: G [sic]

Last name: Sutherland

Service number:13007

Unit: 'D' Company, 7th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment

Admitted to: 51st Field Ambulance on 24.11.1915 with influenza 

Discharged to: Divisional Rest Station on 26.11.1915

First name: J

Unit: 7th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment

Admitted to: 149th Field Ambulance on 16.11.1917 with trench feet

Discharged to: Mendinghem Casualty Clearing Station on 16.11.1917

Some PoW records, linked by the numbers on the index card here, indicate that he was serving with 'A' Company, 5/Yorks when he was captured.

Regards

Chris

On 25/04/2019 at 10:59, clk said:

Hi Mick,

On Ancestry the 5th Battalion war diary for the period April 1915 to 31.7.1918 is here.

Findmypast have a couple of 'hospital' admission/discharge records which appear to relate to his time with the 7th Battalion, and read:

First name: G [sic]

Unit: 'D' Company, 7th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment

Admitted to: 51st Field Ambulance on 24.11.1915 with influenza 

Discharged to: Divisional Rest Station on 26.11.1915

First name: J

Unit: 7th Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment

Admitted to: 149th Field Ambulance on 16.11.1917 with trench feet

Discharged to: Mendinghem Casualty Clearing Station on 16.11.1917

Some PoW records, linked by the numbers on the index card here, indicate that he was serving with 'A' Company, 5/Yorks when he was captured.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Many thanks to all.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to all above, sorry for delay in coming back been poorly. The diary detail was dynamite and I have been able to write a comprehensive account of John's life which included an account of his MM which is difficult as you all know.

If his details are of use to anyone I am more than happy to share....

Thanks again this is a wonderful resource for me.

Mick.