Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oldham Memorial - photo required please

aengland

I really hope that someone can help me.

I am taking a friend to the battlefields in late May to see the grave of his great grandfather.  The soldier in question is Private 14855 Albert Bannister who was killed in action whilst serving with the 2nd Bn Lanacshire Fusiliers, on 3 May 1917 when the 4th Division was part of the large attack on the German positions.... the 2nd Lancs Fusiliers attacked the chemical works at Roeux.

My friend and I live in west Norfolk which is a fair distance from Oldham.... so being perfectly honest this request is in part just trying to save me the long journey to Oldham! 

I am sure that Albert Bannister must be named on a war memorial there which I understand is on the churchyard wall (?)....  which is a separate memorial to the beautiful one pictured below

image.jpeg.d628be8c530d1aa25dc93f1474bf6ffb.jpeg

but this is the memorial I believe that he will be listed on.... I've tried expanding it but obviously I lose the definition

Image result for oldham war memorial

Certainly the Oldham Council have a remembrance website where the men who fell are listed via a continuously moving scroll.  Albert Bannister is listed there with 4 other Bannisters (it would also be wonderful to know if they are relatives, and if someone could help me with that, then my friend would be mightily surprised, and extremely pleased)

So is there someone on this fantastic forum who knows where this memorial listing of names of the fallen is located, and would be willing to take a photograph of Albert Bannister's name?

I would be extremely grateful if someone could take a close-up photograph of the area where Albert Bannister is listed, and also one detailing all the Bannisters.

In advance of anyone saying that they could help, thank you very much.

Andrew

Dear David

No I haven't seen that! it is wonderful.... thank you so much

My friend is a recently served RAF pilot and is going to be thrilled with both his trip to the Arras battlefields and with this; thank you again

Andrew

Hi Andrew, I photographed all the names on Oldham war memorial about five years ago, this is a close up of the Bannisters...

IMG_1966.JPG.d3bb5cd45383247a0927d7a16986beec.JPG

Dear Paul.....

Just perfect. Thank you very much indeed. Greatly appreciate you sharing this

Andrew