Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was my man in hospital?

TonyR

Hello all, I have some info from my chap’s Service Papers which I believe suggests he was brought back from the Front and hospitalised, maybe in England before being moved to Ireland.

Problem is I am getting confused (easily done nowadays) about the Army Forms & Codes.  First image has what look like AFW 3040, but that’s a ‘Next of Kin Form’ so I’m not sure what this means.  Second line looks like Do 242 meaning AFW 242, which doesn’t exist, so could it be AFW 3242, a ‘Ward Slip’?

Other question is (soz if it’s too dumb) would a chap actually be ‘Posted’ to hospital?  Let me know if I’m on right lines with my thinking, but if I’m way off be gentle with me.  Regards, TonyR.

Do* AFW 3040  D  Posted  Sgt  29 8 18

Do 242   3  Posted  Sgt  11 10 18

D  Posted  Sgt  28 12 18

Dispersal Camp No 4 (or 1) & attached

Prees Heath

* (This ‘Do’ may be crossed out)

Second image - Form W3016, Dated 30.9.1918, Lancs Fus, Labour Corps. (something) Station stamped, has been granted a furlough from 2 Oct 1918 to 11 Oct 1918.  I consider he is fit for (some writing over Duty & Command Depot that I cannot make out).  Officer in charge Lt. Col Hospital, OC Mil. Convalescent Station Holywood Co. Down

Third image – has him home from France on 29 8 18, same date as AFW 3040 entry in first image.

First 2776-1075_cr.jpg

Second 2776-1075_cr.jpg

Third 2741-1040_crop.jpg

• Admin

'D' = Depot, men were not posted to Hospital but were posted on to the Depot Strength when unfit for duty, or non -effective.  H was posted to the Depot on the day he returned to the UK.  That does not mean he was physically at the Depot but was probably at a medical facility.

Elsewhere on the records it shows he was gassed, whether that was what resulted in his repatriation to the UK on 28th August 1918 is unclear. but it is the only 'injury' or possible cause I can see.

He was granted leave from the Convalescent Station when he recovered sufficiently to be fit for 'Employment', not fit for duty but not so unfit as to be posted to  a Command Depot and these options have been struck through.

He is then posted to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion,(Humber Garrison) probably on light duties or in a training role.  On the 28th December he is again posted to the Depot strength (i.e. non effective as far as the Lancashire Fusiliers are concerned) but 'attached' to the Dispersal Centre, as an NCO probably responsible for discipline among those rotating through the centre.

It appears he was discharged from the Army while still attached to Press Heath and immediately re-enlisted in the Chineses Labour Corps.  His discharge papers show medical category B3. He was probably quite unfit before transferring to the 23 Lancashire Fusiliers which was a Garrison Battalion.  Interestingly this was one of the Garrison Battalions pressed into service to the reformed 40th Division.  The Divisional history records the 'first real fighting' of the reconstituted Division was on the 27th August 1918.

Ken

Hello Ken, thanks for the reply & the extra information.

Can you clarify what you meant by

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

H was posted to the Depot on the day he returned to the UK.

is 'H' a code you spotted somewhere, or did you mean 'He' was posted .......... to the UK?

Finally, any thoughts on the Army codes AFW 3040 & Do 242 ?  Regards, TonyR.

He eventually had a pension for the Gas event, this commenced 6/3/1920 and was considered attributable to service and rated at 20%.

Unless other papers are mixed with his there is a sheet for John Rooney 703359 Royal Hospital Chelsea circa May 1920.

TEW

• Admin
2 hours ago, TonyR said:

Hello Ken, thanks for the reply & the extra information.

Can you clarify what you meant by

is 'H' a code you spotted somewhere, or did you mean 'He' was posted .......... to the UK?

Finally, any thoughts on the Army codes AFW 3040 & Do 242 ?  Regards, TonyR.

H is my typo for 'He'

As for the record:-

Do is short for Ditto 

Army Form 3040 was probably sent to Katie informing her he was wounded/sick and his location

242 probably recorded his movement to the 3rd Battalion as his 'address' would have changed. 

100 years on I think we have to accept the entry meant something to the clerk compiling the record but such shorthand is difficult if not impossible to decipher for researchers. The clerk did not consider 100 years on researchers would be agonising over such details. 

It adds little or nothing to Sgt Rooney's distinguished history which is, perhaps best considered from his original enlistment.

Ken

Hello Ken, thanks for the clarification, it's appreciated and your right to say it adds little to his service.

Hello TEW, I spotted that 'gassed' event and the 20% attrib to service and the John Rooney 703359 Royal Hospital Chelsea record you mention is for my man as well.  Thanks to you both for your interest and input.  Regards, TonyR