Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Military Academy, Woolwich (“The Shop”) during WW1

oak

Pals,

I am researching for publication a RFC/RAF Pilot who attended the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich from 1 June 1916 to 26 February 1917 and am trying to get an idea of the life he would have lived during his time there. I have the books “The Shop,” The Story of the Royal Military Academy by F.G. Guggisberg (which tells the story of the Academy from its foundation up to1900) and The Shop Story 1900-1939 by Colonel K.W. Maurice-Jones D.S.O. (Retd.) 

I would be very grateful if any Pal could tell me of any other relevant sources of information about The Shop during WW1 of which they might be aware, please e.g. any articles which might have been written about The Shop and/or its impact on its locality during WW1. While a set of The Shop’s journals for the relevant period are available online at Sandhurst, I am getting a message from my computer, indicating that the site is not secure! The Imperial War Museum also has a set of the journals and it may be that I will have to await my next visit to London to access these. 

Any information/advice/suggestions would be most welcome, please.

Kind regards,

Oak

Oak: The RMA Magazine was published three times a year during the Great War and has articles and photos about the training at that time, along with photos of most of the graduating classes.  I have used the Sandhurst collection website extensively and never had a problem with security.

Many thanks rflory,

I very much appreciate that information. The fact that photos of most of the graduating classes were published is great to know. 

In grateful appreciation,

Oak