Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank I 41 Cambrai

dgibson150

I certainly need a bit of expert advice. Does the attached extract from the Register of Soldiers Effects indicate some service in the ranks prior to being commissioned? Iteffects.jpg.15d3136f00c663ec06a641a912e01042.jpg seems that strictly speaking the red stamp should only have been used for War Gratuity, but that sometimes it was used erroneously for gratuities under officers' schemes.

David

1 minute ago, dgibson150 said:

I certainly need a bit of expert advice. Does the attached extract from the Register of Soldiers Effects indicate some service in the ranks prior to being commissioned? Iteffects.jpg.15d3136f00c663ec06a641a912e01042.jpg seems that strictly speaking the red stamp should only have been used for War Gratuity, but that sometimes it was used erroneously for gratuities under officers' schemes.

David

It does - a £5 (net) amount would be £7 gross -  that would insufficient for a Sgt (as they started at £8 basic)  so it would indicate a Private with 16 months, or a Corporal with 14 months service. (Two caveats on common issues with officers would be that, 1) if he was a regular the £5 would be gross so would be a Private with 12 months or less service and 2) not all commissioned men, even non-regulars, seem to have had gratuity paid net rather than gross, which again would be a Private with 12 months or less service ).

So, in summary, in this particular instance it can narrow it to

a Private with 16 months, or a Corporal with 14 months service

or, less likely.

a Private with 12 months or less service.

Craig

There seems to be some confusion and I can't understand why. This is an old post and nothing to do with the Tank Corps at Cambrai.

David