Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Needing some help with understanding and discovering the Machine Gun Corp

Cameron

Hello,

So my Great Grandfather was originally in the Cameronean rifles but was transferred to the machine gun corp on 10/5/1916 as a driver. I have done some research and using ancestry.com (and old records) I know he served with the 229th Machine Gun company and joined the 75th division in Egypt on the 18th June 1918. Whilst he was there he served under the 232nd infantry brigade again I believe.

But on the 3rd of May he was moved into No 75 Bn, MGC and I am confused as to why and what this means, from what I have gathered the 75th division is different from this? And that is all I am very confused if anyone can be kind enough to help me understand.

Thanks for reading and any information is helpful 

Cameron 

Late in the War the MGC Companies which were under Brigade control were combined and became Divisional assets as a Bn, usually taking the Div number as its Bn identifier, in this case 75th Bn MGC.

Sam

So how would I be able to find more about them then because that is where I am at a loss. Thank you for you for your help though hopefully I can find more 

Hello Cameron, and welcome to the Forum!

The War Diaries are available in the National Archives. They have not yet been digitised so you will probably need to visit Kew to read them.

War Diaries rarely mention individuals by name other than officers, but numbers of casualties each day are nearly always given, and the location of the unit, with a short description of its activities, is given on each day.

75 DIVISION 
WO 95/4685 75 Battalion Machine Gun Corps 1918 May - 1920 Mar.  
WO 95/4689 232 Infantry Brigade   
WO 95/4689 Brigade Machine Gun Company 1917 Apr. - 1918 Apr.  

Good hunting!

Ron

Thanks Ron for the help it is greatly appreciated! I’ll be sure to head down soon and see what I can uncover.

Thanks to both of you again 

Cameron

There is a FIBIS Fibiwiki page Machine Gun Corps

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Machine_Gun_Corps

Although this page emphasises  the Machine Gun Corps in India, there is general information which may be of interest.

As your grandfather served in Egypt, there is a  FIBIS Fibiwiki page  Egypt, Palestine, Syria (First World War) with links to many historical books online.

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Egypt,_Palestine,_Syria_(First_World_War)

Cheers

Maureen

• 2 weeks later...

Right ok guess I have to ask here, can anyone help with where to start researching the Cameronian Rifles as that’s who he was originally drafted for. Any help is much appreciated and his information is in the first post on this thread 

• Admin
12 hours ago, Cameron said:

Thank David hope it helps but it doesn’t seem like it’s getting any traction; any ideas?

Cameron 

I have unlocked your other thread and edited the title to try to attract attention from those interested in the Cameronians.

It may be an idea to post some detail of the soldier concerned in THAT thread as that can often pique people's interests.

Good luck

David