Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helmet "Order of the Garter" ?

IMG_5365.JPG.2e9f07f2fcf3ed5212bbe6a6f26199b6.JPGHello from Texas, USA.  My dad passed away and had the pictured helmet in his estate.  What do I have and what to do with it?  Does it have a value to a collector?  I'm at a complete loss but did look up the motto on the helmet.  It's beautiful but don't know what to do with it.  Please give me information  if you can or send me in a direction to find out more. He was a US military career officer.  I sincerely thank you, Roger.

Hi,

Its a British Household Cavalry helmet. Other members will likely be able to date it from the size of the crown.

Here is one for sale - 

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/british-household-cavalry-royal-horse-guard-parade-helmet-with-red-plume

Steve

PS

If you remove Order of the Garter in the title with Household Cavalry you may attract more interest.

It’s an officers’ pattern helmet of the Royal Horse Guards (subsequently ‘Blues and Royals’, who retained the same helmet).  The ‘other ranks’ (US enlisted mens) pattern is similar in appearance, but with plain gilt, rather than red enamel cross as its central feature.

A61D9E2C-BF8A-4E34-97B6-DF448384B4F4.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, munce said:

The shape of the crown indicates that it dates from the reign of the current Queen.

Indeed, which was (is still) worn by both, RHG and Blues & Royals.