Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help requested with Prussian Unit markings to Sabre

RGJDEE

Members of the forum , can anyone help with identifying the two unit marks to this M1811 Sabre & Scabbard I understand they were in service throughout the Great War for Transport units etc.

Any help greatly appreciated,

thanks Richard.

2767D3D9-C003-4E09-BBB1-562C82EAC758.jpeg

0AF343CA-B779-4E7B-A200-1139C99FCE17.jpeg

54D9EC4E-2901-44A1-835B-A2C66FBC74C1.jpeg

Looks to me that the lower one is for the Feldartillerie-Regiment von Podbielski(1. Niederschlesisches) Nr. 5  but I need to look again and check when I have more time! So, no, I don't mind if anyone else comes up with something better!

30 minutes ago, trajan said:

Looks to me that the lower one is for the Feldartillerie-Regiment von Podbielski(1. Niederschlesisches) Nr. 5  but I need to look again and check when I have more time! So, no, I don't mind if anyone else comes up with something better!

Thanks Trajan any ideas on the crossed out unit ??

R

Hmmm.... Well, a  'T.L', so it is "X Train Bataillon, Feld Lazarett Y, Waffe Z"!

Edited by trajan

Any chance of a translation

( I know ,I’m pushing my luck !)

😏R

Push, push...! This would be the field hospital section (Feld Lazaret)t attached to a 'Train' (supply column) that followed the troops into battle. I think there was one for every division, but I would need to check! 

37 minutes ago, trajan said:

Push, push...! This would be the field hospital section (Feld Lazaret)t attached to a 'Train' (supply column) that followed the troops into battle. I think there was one for every division, but I would need to check! 

Almost. Fieldlazarette were raised by the Train-Bataillone, they were not attached to the train. Feldlazarette were in the beginning of the war corps troops and later divisional troops. The number of Feldlazarette per corps was originally 12, later it was 2 per division (and several Feldlazarette available on Army level to be attached to corps as necessary).

Jan

Bearing in mind this Sabre dates (possibly/hopefully) 1814-1830 (I have read that later than 1830 they were stamped and dated on the spine and this one isn’t)

The original Unit marks could be quite old ? Forgive me this double learning curve of Sabres and German/Prussian is very steep.

any thought ?

and needless to say thankyou both for your time and knowledge.

R

24 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Almost. Fieldlazarette were raised by the Train-Bataillone, they were not attached to the train. Feldlazarette were in the beginning of the war corps troops and later divisional troops. The number of Feldlazarette per corps was originally 12, later it was 2 per division (and several Feldlazarette available on Army level to be attached to corps as necessary).

Thanks Jan

16 minutes ago, RGJDEE said:

Bearing in mind this Sabre dates (possibly/hopefully) 1814-1830 (I have read that later than 1830 they were stamped and dated on the spine and this one isn’t)

The original Unit marks could be quite old ? Forgive me this double learning curve of Sabres and German/Prussian is very steep.

Always a steep learning curve with these things, and it never ever levels out!

Off-hand, both marks would fit with an Imperial German date, so from 1871 onwards. The lower mark is certainly post 1871 as that is when all these units were consecutively numbered according to the Prussian diktat. 

Ok thankyou very much .

regards Richard.