Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What regiment cap badge?

Hi.

Just doing some family tree research for a friend who has given me a picture. She thinks it is a family member. Can anybody tell me if this is a solider of WW1 by his uniform, the type of gun he is standing next to and if possible the regiment cap badge, One of her relations was in the Royal Field Artillery. Have attached the picture and a close up of the head, but the badge is blurred.

Thanks for any help.

Deb photo 2.jpg

Deb photo 3.jpg

The badge is Light Infantry possibly Durham Light Infantry any links to that area? The gun looks like a 10.5cm Krupp Howitzer so posing next to a captured gun.

I agree with 303man that the soldier appears to be in the Durham Light Infantry.

2E6C0993-8928-4A1E-8612-97BF0B711AA5.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

With the poor quality of the picture it is difficult to determine if the bugle is surmounted by three loops of the bugle string, a crown or a rose and if there are initials of the regiment between the strings. Could be one of four Light Infantry and a Yeomanry

Eddie

I'd agree that it looks like Durham Light Infantry, although it could be King's Shropshire Light Infantry. It would help to confirm which regiment if we learnt where the family came from.

Although the bugle badges of various LI regiments are similar, the profile dimensions are different and with experience it is possible to differentiate.  I am fairly sure that 303man has called it correctly.

I agree that KSLI would be a close second, but although the home location of the man concerned would give a hint, it can’t really be relied upon because after 1916 especially, men were frequently sent where they were needed without there always being great regard for their origins.

5217280C-804B-450A-B9F3-BA7F36B4C86E.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The distance between the ends of the bugle and the top of the badge as well as the general dimensions of the badge point to it being DLI in my opinion as well.   Pete.

I’m wondering if the photo might be a young lad just post-war at the DLI Depot.  Captured guns were often used as ‘gate guardians’ at regimental depots.

Frogsmile's comment about the location being outside the DLI Depot and the time being after the war is interesting. Fenham Barracks, Newcastle became the regiment's depot in 1884 and it remained there until it moved to Brancepeth Castle in 1939. I can't find a photo of the barracks including a gate guard gun

30 minutes ago, Robin Garrett said:

Frogsmile's comment about the location being outside the DLI Depot and the time being after the war is interesting. Fenham Barracks, Newcastle became the regiment's depot in 1884 and it remained there until it moved to Brancepeth Castle in 1939. I can't find a photo of the barracks including a gate guard gun

Gate guardians were more an airfield thing and I shouldn’t really have mentioned them, in Army barracks it was more common to have such trophies outside the HQ building and that’s what I was really thinking of.  I’ve no idea if it’s Fenham barracks, but it just seems like a possible scenario.

The person I am researching it for thought it might be her Grandfather but he was born in 1904, so to young to be in WW1. I found only one another family member that was in WW1 and thought it might be him. Thomas (Antoni) Guidotti joined the 4th Depot, Woolwich as Royal Field Artillery Driver on the 10/11/1914 with service number 53187. On the 16/02/1915 he was in the 1st Battery 95th Brigade in High Wycombe. Discharged on the 11/06/1916.  Sorry that's all I know.

30 minutes ago, Minitoad said:

The person I am researching it for thought it might be her Grandfather but he was born in 1904, so to young to be in WW1. I found only one another family member that was in WW1 and thought it might be him. Thomas (Antoni) Guidotti joined the 4th Depot, Woolwich as Royal Field Artillery Driver on the 10/11/1914 with service number 53187. On the 16/02/1915 he was in the 1st Battery 95th Brigade in High Wycombe. Discharged on the 11/06/1916.  Sorry that's all I know.

Thomas Guidotti was actually discharged on 11/06/1915,after only 195 days service, not 1916

His pension record merely states he was no longer physically fit for war service, but doesn't give any clues to what medical condition he was suffering from.

He didn't serve abroad and had no medal entitlement.

His record does not mention any other regiment than  the RFA, hence, I don't think the image is of him.