Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

mandy hall

Tunnel or Ferry from Calais

JulianR

I always use the ferry, so I do not have to drive 20 miles to get on the train and am home 15 minutes after landing in Dover.  The M20 roadworks are for the allegedly Smart Motorway and a new interchange at Ashford.

I have noticed that if the Tunnel fails all cars are put on the ferry anyway.  There are very occasional delays on the ferry, normally occasioned by high winds or engine faults, 

I did a return trip to Calais last weekend on the ferry for £82.   Even if you book the non-flexible cheapest ticket and arrive sufficiently early at the port for the previous ferry you are put on the earlier ferry.  

Getting through the French Customs is normally speedy, it is the British Immigration that is always slow, or do I have the magic ability to pull up behind the car that has suspicious characters in it?

Julian

Ken Lees

There and back again yesterday. No delays. In fact, on the return journey we got an earlier train. If we balance the times we get an earlier crossing against the delays, the time saved well outweighs the occasional delay.

Gareth Davies

I have been out and back on the shuttle twice in the past week and had a very smooth passage through check in, passport control, and security on all 4 legs.

nigelcave

Horses for courses; if you have a long journey down to Dover it is good to have the break from driving and to be able to stroll around, take the sea air and so forth. Although I have used the Shuttle occasionally, I have stuck to the ferry for the last fifteen years or so and have had no problems in that time, except once, when I got diverted to the Shuttle (some disruption on the French side with some industrial dispute or other); and it also happened to em the other way when I had a Shuttle ticket.

As regards taking a car or not - it rather depends on what you hope to achieve in your trip over and how much literature and associated battlefield paraphernalia you need to carry around - camera, books, folder/note book, maps then and now etc can make for quite a weight. And you are reliant on public transport getting you to where you need to go; not too bad in the Salient, pretty dismal on the Somme and all but non existent in the Argonne.