Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RASC Unit prefix

Nudist

Hi 

This is my first post on the group. One of my forebears, an Australian, joined up with British Army in 1916 and was assigned to the (R)ASC. His regimental number is prefixed DMZ. That's the only info I have been able to glean from the few pages I have found on Ancestry.com. Can someone enlighten me on the purpose of this branch of the ASC

Hi welcome to the forum,

It's probably DM2, this prefix was given to learner drivers in Mechanical Transport but they retained it once they completed their driver training, do you have any more information such as a name and the rest of the number?

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi welcome to the forum,

It's probably DM2, this prefix was given to learner drivers in Mechanical Transport but they retained it once they completed their driver training, do you have any more information such as a name and the rest of the number?

Ernest Luke Barnes RM2/162820

OK.

His Service number is DM2/162820. Not DMZ, not RM2. DM2, confirming he entered as a Mechanical Transport learner.

I see from an Ancestry tree, that he was born in Australia on 23/2/1886 and died there in 28/9/1956.

He was called up on 23/2/1916 (he may well have attested in late 1915 under the Derby Scheme, if he was in the UK at the time.)

He was discharged  due to sickness  (cause not stated) on 2/5/1919 and was given a Silver War  Badge (Number B200469).

His entry on the Silver Badge Roll states he did serve overseas, but I haven't so far found a Medal Index Card for him. If he served in a Theatre of War, he would have been entitled to a War Medal and Victory Medal, I assume from Britain rather than Australia, but I could be wrong.