Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
KernelPanic

Numbered Hills?

KernelPanic

I'm currently reading about the various battles that took place in the Ypres salient in 1915, including the ones for Hill 60. I've see two other numbered hills featured elsewhere in battles during the War, 70 and 35. Hill 60 was the result of railway excavations, so I suppose the others were also man-made.

Were other numbered hills significant battle sites? Who came up with the numbering system, and how many there were? 

Given that these parts of France/Belgium had coal mining going on back then, I presume there were quite a few, and at least 70. 

RussT

I think the number related to the height

Russ

ss002d6252
1 hour ago, RussT said:

I think the number related to the height

Russ

It is for the hills around Ypres that I've looked at during my research.

Craig

EDWARD1

As well as the Ypres area numbered hills can be found on the following trench maps:- Beaumont, Bouchavesnes, Givenchy, Harbonnier, Lens, Loos, Peronne, and Vimy and probably lots more unlisted.

Eddie

DarrellDuthie

The hills are numbered according to their height in metres. As to significant battle sites, close to Hill 60 alone you have Hill 62 (Mount Sorrel), only a few hundred metres to the north - surely your reading must have mentioned this? To the south not much further away is Hill 63, back of the Ploegsteert trenches, the scene of much fighting and the hinterland of the attack at Messines in 1917. 

KernelPanic
On 01/05/2019 at 13:21, Esdorn said:

The hills are numbered according to their height in metres. As to significant battle sites, close to Hill 60 alone you have Hill 62 (Mount Sorrel), only a few hundred metres to the north - surely your reading must have mentioned this? To the south not much further away is Hill 63, back of the Ploegsteert trenches, the scene of much fighting and the hinterland of the attack at Messines in 1917. 

Thanks, that's very helpful. Didn't think about their height. Obvious really :)

Now I see Hill 63 on Sheet 28. But no, my reading didn't mention Mt. Sorrel or Hill 62 (Tor Top). I'm most interested in 2nd Ypres, and the 1915 maps I've looked at so far (although not that many) don't appear to mark these features.  Maybe they were specifically marked on the maps during the 1916 operations as the hills gained strategic value?

ss002d6252
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, KernelPanic said:

Thanks, that's very helpful. Didn't think about their height. Obvious really :)

Now I see Hill 63 on Sheet 28. But no, my reading didn't mention Mt. Sorrel or Hill 62 (Tor Top). I'm most interested in 2nd Ypres, and the 1915 maps I've looked at so far (although not that many) don't appear to mark these features.  Maybe they were specifically marked on the maps during the 1916 operations as the hills gained strategic value?

Hill37 was referred to regularly by the DLI (and units in the surrounding area) at 2nd Ypres - Hill37 is a short distance from Zonnebeke. I can't recall seeing it specifically marked on maps though.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252