BBC4: Pipers of the Trenches

Skipman
31 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Bet they got a right hump.

Of Corps they did.

Mike

rolt968
1 hour ago, Ghazala said:

The first time the camels heard the bagpipes they stampeded.  Highland regiments and camels did not get on.

There was an Indian Cavalry Regiment which had a mounted pipe band.

RM

Gardenerbill

Watched this on the Iplayer last night that it was quite good, agree the Gym section could have been left out, but I thought the Canadian piper playing his grandfathers pipes at Vimy was quite moving.

Hyacinth1326

Years ago I was involved in researching TV a documentary about events of 1st July on the Somme (yes, I know..I know...)  One interesting element was that each of the Tyneside Scottish Brigades' pipers appear to have been playing different tunes as the chaps went over.  One piper survivor account written within a year of the attack stated that they went over playing 'Hielan' Laddie'  another maintained it was 'Keel Row', yet another that it was 'All the Blue Bonnets'.  No consensus whatsoever. 

None of this bothered the director/producer who  wasn't impressed by any of the above and just injected a recording of 'Black Bear' into the programme

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Steven Broomfield
47 minutes ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

None of this bothered the director/producer who  wasn't impressed by any of the above and just injected a recording of 'Black Bear' into the programme

With the associated yells at the correct intervals, one hopes.

Katie Wilson

Thanks for sharing I enjoyed watching this 

Muerrisch

Seemingly I missed little by missing all.

rolt968
On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:20, Hyacinth1326 said:

Years ago I was involved in researching TV a documentary about events of 1st July on the Somme (yes, I know..I know...)  One interesting element was that each of the Tyneside Scottish Brigades' pipers appear to have been playing different tunes as the chaps went over.  One piper survivor account written within a year of the attack stated that they went over playing 'Hielan' Laddie'  another maintained it was 'Keel Row', yet another that it was 'All the Blue Bonnets'.  No consensus whatsoever. 

I obviously didn't listen carefully enough. The Black Bear would be singularly inappropriate for a charge/advance!

RM

Hyacinth1326
Posted (edited)

The director/producer (a lowland Scot himself) liked the Black Bear's catchy tune...

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Steven Broomfield

Who doesn't? (Time and place, though. Time and place)

Hyacinth1326

Upon reading the Battalion Diaries and personal experience accounts of survivors, it becomes grimly apparent that after zero hours none of the pipers on the Mash Valley side would have been left standing  long enough to play a coherent tune.