Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
NorthStaffsPOW

German S98 Sawback Bayonet

NorthStaffsPOW

Hi all. I was pleased to add this to my collection during a recent trip to the town of Seelow in Germany. I have not actually seen one of these in the flesh in Britain despite having seen quite a few sawback S98/05s and 84/98s. Condition could be better and any markings have been lost to pitting, but I am still happy to have added this scarce bayonet to my collection. Thanks for looking.

S98 Sawback 1.jpg

S98 Sawback 2.jpg

S98 Sawback 3.jpg

S98 Sawback 4.jpg

S98 Sawback 5.jpg

S98 Sawback 6.jpg

S98 Sawback 7.jpg

S98 Sawback 8.jpg

trajan

Well done! Yes, condition not excellent, in fact poor, but when you don't have something you need for a collection, then it will do as a filler. The only problem being that you will be lucky to get your money back if you decide to sell it at some point. I would be happy to have it as it is a type I sorely lack in my collection - they were never sent to Turkey, it seems... :( The date looks to be somewhere in the 1910's. 

NorthStaffsPOW

Hi Trajan, thanks for your comments. Yes, I had figured the date to be around the 1910s too. Regarding the condition, I am an impatient collector :D When I see a bayonet I would like in the collection, especially something scarce or rare, as long as the price reflects condition I would rather have it than not. When I find a nicer one I will trade up :thumbsup:

Steve1871

I have 2 of those sawbacks , nice, impressive Bayonet's with their length , but both June have no scabbards either , I never try to see if regular Quillback scabbards will fit , still, like TRAJAN said. Well done

Steve1871

On the 98/05. Only about 6% made were Pioneer/Sawback

the S98 Sawback should be as scarce, it seem's that far less S98 sawbacks have survived the war and a whole century of time. They are always great for your collection