Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. S. Dallman, RWF - Medal Index Card Query

verdun

I am trying to establish the medal entitlement (and any other service details) of the following soldier:

Pte. Samuel Dallman, Royal Welch Fusiliers

His Medal Index Card is attached below and I wonder if anyone can decipher the text and add any other information about this soldier's service history, please?

Many thanks if you can help.

MIC Samuel Dallman.jpg

The 7 digit service number suggests service post 1921.

I don't know if the MIC on the Ancestry site is really displaying the back of his card, or whether it is a generic blank, but the printer's mark suggest it was printed in December 1921 (12/21). I don't know much about post war awards, but I think IGS and 1921-24 further suggest service at this time.

He does of course have an earlier RWF number. An RWF expert could possibly tell you where he enlisted.

The RWF were Welsh up to 1921, Welch 1921 and after.

He may have a service file held by the MOD for 21-24 service.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

He may have another card. This one is for India General Service Medal with clasp Waziristan 1921-24. Those campaign medal rolls on ancestry but luck is need with a search.

The 7 digit number is an Army Number rather than a Regimental Number, Army numbers introduced end of 1920 I think.

He may have WWI service with #35990 but card could be indexed by another number or he was too young and enlisted post armistice.

TEW

Samuel Dallman, born Swinton, Manchester, Lancs.  Enlisted at Chester 20 October 1919 aged 18.  No previous service.  Labourer by trade.  Next of kin, mother Clara Dallman, 6 Sea View, New Ferry, Chester.

IGS Medal clasp Waziristan 1921.  Discharged Shrewsbury 19 October 1931, per Para 497 (vii) KR.  Final rank Fusilier, character exemplary.  Address on discharge 2 Worsley Road, Swinton, Manchester. 

The above information from the Regimental enlistment registers, originals at the Wrexham Museum.  His was a Regular engagement, but I'm not sure why he and the men around him were initially given 35xxx numbers which I'd normally associate with 1915 enlistments.  He would have received a 7-figure Army number in August 1920.  

57 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

An RWF expert could possibly tell you where he enlisted

3 minutes ago, clive_hughes said:

Enlisted at Chester 20 October 1919 aged 18

See what I mean?

His IGSM medal roll is on Ancestry under UK, Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1949.

Only search by surname or #4179597, don't start adding specific campaigns or dates as he's listed for Crimean War 1854-1855 (ancestry thing!)

Not a lot of additional info though I'm afraid.

TEW