Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery

James Brown

I've been given these photos to try and assemble as much information as I can for a friend.

The information I have so far is as follows.

The man we "assume" ringed in the picture is my friend's Grandfather. He is not 100%, the photo has been handed down, with family members only pointing him out.

Gunner Alexander Lennox

RFA

Looking at the picture I would say that he is RFA. On closer inspection he has two wound stripes. Again we were unaware that he was wounded, never spoke aboout the war. On the back of this photograph the adress is to a Mrs A Lennox, 79 Govanhill St. Glasgow. And on the back at the left bottom corner is the date 1881 written in pencil.

Are the chains they are holding stirrups?

And the campaign ribbons on his uniform? What could they be?

Would he maybe have been wounded then when fit returned to train drafts?

Regards

James Brown

sorry here is the pic hopefully

The other photo shows what I think may be "emergency blues or "canvas" uniforms. The canvas uniforms may be the wrong description, could they be just overalls? This photo is a picture of his Great Uncle, and again he is unable to positively identify the individual.

Still the RFA Cap Badge?

And still in Training Huts/Billetts?

Thanks Plas

Regards

James Brown

Out of curiosity, why do you say RFA as opposed to the RHA or RGA? (You're probably correct, but the other two were badged the same).

The first photo looks to be WW1 dated anywhere between 1916 and 1918. Those areindeed two wounded stripes. The ribbons could be a trio(?) making the photo immediately post war, but it's unusual that no-one else has them. Boer War , India medals? Hard to tell.

The second photo dates from the 1930's (even possibly as late as 1941/2) and depicts a group of RA (RFA and RGA weren't individual at this point) in their various work fatigues,etc. You can tell the age by the style of the SD caps (different to the WW1 style) and the fact that one member is wearing a FS cap (side cap) introduced in 1937.

Dave.

Hi Croonaert

Really quick response, thank you.

I appologise if my terminology is not correct.

I'm not an expert on the RFA, RGA or RHA. And my friend has only began an intersest because I may have pushed him in that direction. :P

The ribbons sort of intrigued me as well. At the back row, three from the left there is someone else wearing them. I thought at first that this must have been post war. Maybe even a snap shot of them before they get demobbed. The ribbons???

Youre explanation of the second photo is really great. This will be news to Ron.

Thanks again for that Croonaert

Regards

James Brown

With regard to your first question the chains the men are holding in photo 1 are curb chains and are attached to either side of the bit which goes into the horses mouth.

The bit in question is known as a "Portmouth Reversible" so called because it could be used either way around. In equestrian terms it is quite a "severe" bit which means relatively novice riders can gain full control over potentially difficult horses. In conjunction with the bridle (the leather work which fits over the top of the horses head) and the curb chain, which passes behind the horses lower lip and sort of under his "chin", the bit directs the leverage exerted by the rider on the reins and has has the effect of lowering the horses head and bringing him to a stop - an essential brake when bringing guns into action from the gallop! If you look closely at the bit you will see that it has long side bars. The further down the side bar you place the reins the more leverage you are able to exert.

The same bits, bridles and curb chains are used by The King's Troop RHA today and you can see them in action whenever they fire a salute in Hyde Park or Green Park

Hope this helps

Regards

David

Croonaert

I,ve just learned that he has a trio for Alexander Lennox, 82330 RFA. It is a bit faded round the rim of BWM/Victory Pair, and on the back of his Star it has his name....A.Lennox number.........82330 and RFA.

Do you think this may be a picture taken after the war at some training Camp, seeing as he is wearing the ribbons? Or asyou said it might be from some earlier campaign.

With regard to your first question the chains the men are holding in photo 1 are curb chains and are attached to either side of the bit which goes into the horses mouth.

David

Thanks for that explanation. Interesting to know exactly what the curb chains are and how they were used. Especially to me, not being a horsey man.

Thanks again David and Croonaert

James Brown