Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Theatres in which served: OSR(?)'.

M_O'Neill

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the code 'OSR' (I think I've read it right) means on a medal roll, specifically in the 'Theatres of war served' section. Specifically I'm looking at an entry in the medal rolls for the War and Victory medals for the King's Liverpool Regiment - Pte Albert James Monckton, 204961.

• Admin

I think they may be the initials of the clerk? Someone else may have another suggestion but the image below (courtesy Ancestry) suggests that to me. Although that doesn't explain the "X".

image.png

I This has come up before. The pencilled annotations were certainly not given any notice whilst I worked with the records at the Medal office. A thread concluded they were actually a code used by the clerks.

The OSP or maybe OSR seemed to mean no Star pair . So Dalton, Marshal and Monkton have pairs only. Parry has a 1914/15 Star + pair annotated as X. Taberner seems to have only been due a Silver War Badge, discharged a few months after enlistment, and that I believe is what the annotation indicates.

Edited by Mark1959

• Admin
12 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

I This has come up before. The pencilled annotations were certainly not given any notice whilst I worked with the records at the Medal office. A thread concluded they were actually a code used by the clerks.

The OSP or maybe OSR seemed to mean no Star pair . So Dalton, Marshal and Monkton have pairs only. Parry has a 1914/15 Star + pair annotated as X. Taberner seems to have only been due a Silver War Badge, discharged a few months after enlistment, and that I believe is what the annotation indicates.

Thanks Mark, I shall try to remember this!

You still see the O & X marks on later medal rolls but it's odd that not all rolls have it marked. Must admit I thought clerk's initials next to the O or X was the answer but perhaps we'll never know.

Incidently. Parry has - 15 Star, Pair & SWB. Quite often you see SWB noted on these rolls but not in this case.

Dalton, Marshall & Monkton have as you say pair only but seem to me to have different codes/initals next to the O.

Taberner has Pair & SWB. Not sure what is next to his X and can't find an MIC for him.

TEW

Thanks for the responses, everyone - really clears things up! 🙂

The important thing to note is the annotations have no real significance. 

Edited by Mark1959

So no one knows what the O & X means and whether they are sometimes followed by either a code or a clerk's initials and AG10 spent a lot of man hours on something of no significance.

TEW