Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

David McGimpsey - Highland Light Infantry

Rachmagl

Hi guys,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction in finding out more info on my great great grandfather David McGimpsey.  I have found his marraige details, but cannot find any bith details, I did however recieve this from a family member, and was hoping I could possibly find out more details from his military records.

Any suggestions on where to begin or where to look would be greatly appreciated.  I have had a look on forces war records but nothing seems to be matching his regiment number there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

14.jpg

As you can see from the Discharge Certificate he did not serve abroad. This page on The Long, Long Trail covers each Battalion of the HLI. He would most likely have been in one of the home service Units. There is also a museum in Glasgow I believe which might be able to help.

Brian

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/highland-light-infantry/

EDIT: He may have served abroad but not on Active Service.

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

One needs more details to establish who he was

what does his marriage cert say?

was the family from Northern Ireland or Scotland?

If he's Scottish and his year of birth from the Demobilisation Certificate is 1886, it should be easy enough to find his Birth Certificate on Scotlands People.

Sam

Sam

Reason I asked the question is that I could not get him on Scotlandpeople nor on Irish GRO as born in that year nor close

17 hours ago, Rachmagl said:

I have had a look on forces war records but nothing seems to be matching his regiment number there

Much better to concentrate on 'Ancestry' or 'Find My Past' (in my opinion).

BillyH.

There is also a Family Tree on Ancestrey (the Muckle Family) with a David McGimpsey born Newtownards in 1887.

Several McGimpsey men are named on the memorial at the link below, are any related to you?

http://eddiesextracts.com/rohpci/rohards1.html

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS

• 3 months later...

I Honestly don't know how I missed all these replies!! I'm so sorry!

I have since discovered that David McGimpsey was born on May 3rd 1884 in Wishaw, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

I am still no further forward with any service records unfortunately! I do have him on a website as a survivor of the war...

http://scottishmilitaryresearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/3/9/1/73918079/wishaw_and_cambusnethan_roll_of_honour.pdf

But this seems to be the only evidence I can find, nothing further.

Is it possible records may have been destroyed?

Thanks

Rachael

On 15/04/2019 at 13:03, brianmorris547 said:

As you can see from the Discharge Certificate he did not serve abroad. This page on The Long, Long Trail covers each Battalion of the HLI. He would most likely have been in one of the home service Units. There is also a museum in Glasgow I believe which might be able to help.

Brian

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/highland-light-infantry/

EDIT: He may have served abroad but not on Active Service.

The Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum is on Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow.

The RHF took over when the HLI were disbanded.

http://www.rhf.org.uk/

On 16/04/2019 at 16:40, IPT said:

Ancestry have some service papers for a David McGimpsey.  No idea if it's him, but there can't be too many of that name.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/categories/39/?name=david_mcgimpsey&count=50&location=3257.3250&name_x=1_1&priority=united-kingdom

Says he was 18 years and 8 months on joining (no date given), and was gassed in August 1918, so not our man, alas.

Pat

5 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:
On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:40, IPT said:

Ancestry have some service papers for a David McGimpsey.  No idea if it's him, but there can't be too many of that name.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/categories/39/?name=david_mcgimpsey&count=50&location=3257.3250&name_x=1_1&priority=united-kingdom

Says he was 18 years and 8 months on joining (no date given), and was gassed in August 1918, so not our man, alas.

That appears to be for a John McJimpsey with OP's chap's name the NoK?

George

10 hours ago, Rachmagl said:

I have since discovered that David McGimpsey was born on May 3rd 1884 in Wishaw, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

Out of interest , where did you find that.  I cannot see it on ScotslandsPeople. Was he born "David McGimpsey" ?

2 hours ago, George Rayner said:

That appears to be for a John McJimpsey with OP's chap's name the NoK?

George

You're right, my mistake George.

On 15/04/2019 at 23:06, Rachmagl said:

Hi guys,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction in finding out more info on my great great grandfather David McGimpsey.  I have found his marraige details, but cannot find any bith details, I did however recieve this from a family member, and was hoping I could possibly find out more details from his military records.

Any suggestions on where to begin or where to look would be greatly appreciated.  I have had a look on forces war records but nothing seems to be matching his regiment number there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

14.jpg

That document mentions that he was purportedly born in 1886.

There was a man called David McGimpsey who lived in Wishaw but who died in Glasgow in 1932, aged 46....thus born about 1886.  

His wife's maiden name was Annie Forrest and they married in Dalziel/Wishaw in 1909 (although the marriage was not registered until 1910).

He was an iron worker.  

His parents were James and Annie McGimpsey (nee Thom).

Is that the correct family?

That information came from Scotland's People although I can't find a record of birth for him.

I also note that someone has uploaded a family tree which includes this man and his immediate relatives in Ancestry but there is nothing to corroborate his birth.  Nor anything about military service. 

However....luckily they have also uploaded details of his children and one was a son called James McGimpsey.

Born in 1913, he died in 1916 and his father's occupation was recorded as Private, 13th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

The 'family tree owner' on Ancestry has even been kind enough to upload a copy of that record of death.....so you can view it on there.

The 13th HLI did not serve overseas which is why you are not finding the usual medal index cards/rolls etc. for David McGimpsey.

f.y.i.

Edited by Ron Abbott

That is the correct family above with his mother being Annie Thom and his father being James, and his wife was indeed Annie Forrest. 

I eventually found his birth under David Megemcey (I've noticed a lot of spelling variations which is very frustrating), with his birth date being 3 May 1884.

I have the details for most of his immediate family! I've tried to find info under various different spellings and variations of the name but have had no luck! It may be the case that such paperwork doesn't exist as he didn't serve overseas. I had to try though lol

Edited by Rachmagl