Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German soldier photograph help

Sjack91

Good afternoon 

Can anyone give me any information on this picture going by the uniform? I'm just looking for anything other than he is German. Any idea of rank, year taken would be appreciated.

Stuart

IMG_1368.JPG

Hello Stuart!

The shoulder-straps are yellow piped for XVII. Army Corps, to which the two towns Culm and Thorn belonged to.

He has swedish cuffs and a 17 upon the shoulder straps. In Thorn was the 17th Pionier (Engineer) Battalion.

Because of his age (rank: Gefreiter = lance corporal), he probably served with the Reserve or Ersatz company of that battalion.

The photo could have been taken during the entire war, maybe in 14 or 15, because those CDV photos were popular in that time.

Edited by The Prussian

The Prussian 

incredible information. I had a feeling there was more to it than just a photograph. You guys on here can tell so much more by the uniform etc. Do you know what the tastel is hanging from his belt at his bayonet? Is it decrotive? I was in Berlin at the weekend and it was £2. So a nice buy for the collection. 

Stuart

Hi Stuart!

The thing is called "Troddel" (don´t mix it with the german word "Trottel", which means "Idiot"...:) ) or official: Säbeltroddel"

A troddel can show us the battaillon and the company of an unit. Because an Engineer-Battaillon was a single Battaillon,the colour of a 1st Battaillon was used. An Infantry-regiment had four of five battaillons, then the colours changed.

Here we have a white middle for 1st Battailon and probably a blue garland (right word???) for 4th company.

Please have a look:

trodel0005800.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Haha. Great information. I will need to use the correct word when I am showing the picture to my German family or World War three could kick off. Really appreciate the input.

English people would pronounce the "Idiot-word "Trottel". An american would pronounce it "Troddel" so he would have the right word for the uniform-part...:D

Well, here is the anatomy of a german Troddel (a "Faustriemen" was worn by mounted troops)

Troddel_und_Faustriemen.jpg

Edited by The Prussian