Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1899 Wilkinson P1888

Nutting

This is the second of the two bayonets acquired over the weekend: 1899 Wilkinson P1888.

Face of ricasso: 7'99, WILKINSON LONDON

Reverse of ricasso: : broad arrow, bend test, illegible inspector's mark (?).

Edge of ricasso: crown/49/W (twice)

Grip face: crown/49/W

Grip rear & scabbard: 6 (or 9, depending on which way you look!)

Pommel two neatly-applied and subsequently struck-through rack numbers.

Chape: crown/A14/E

No unit marking I can understand, but no crown VR?

Nigel.

a14e - 1.jpg

P1888 - 6.jpg

P1888 - 1.jpg

P1888 - 2.jpg

P1888 - 3.jpg

P1888 - 5.jpg

P1888 - 4.jpg

A very reasonable MK 2, nice to see the inspectors stamp on the grip (bottom pic).

Not unusual to see the V.R. and crown polished out on these old timers, very good condition being as though nearly 120 years old.

Dave.

Dave is correct. For some reason the crown and VR marks were very lightly stamped on these P.1888's and so often disappear or become barely visible with polishing. Note how the Wilkinson inspector's stamp on the right side below the 'WD' arrow has almost gone also.

This issue of markings that are polished away, prompts the question of what abrasive was used by the army?

Possibly the same was used by the RAF, as their P.07’s are also often polished to a high sheen.

Regards,

JMB

Given their period - were P1888s which were supplied from the trade to Volunteer Battalions and later (post 1908) Territorial Battalions (who financed their own equipment to some extent) actually marked with a crown/cypher? I have some recollection of reading that some were not?

I am reasonably certain at least one of mine is not marked and is in the sort of condition that leads me to believe it never was - but I would need to dig it out to check.

Chris

Chris,

I have a P. 1903 that matches the description of your P. ‘88 very well.

The left ricasso is TOTALLY clean of any markings, while the right ricasso bears only crown/ 49/ W and the Wilkinson, London stamp.

No sign of the Broad arrow, WD or the X bending proof.

I had assumed this also to be a Volunteer bayonet, until I noted the Indo-Persian style script on both tangs.

So presumably made for a foreign contract

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
typo

On 15/04/2019 at 15:35, Dave66 said:

A very reasonable MK 2, nice to see the inspectors stamp on the grip (bottom pic).

Not unusual to see the V.R. and crown polished out on these old timers, very good condition being as though nearly 120 years old.

Dave.

I must make a diary entry for July and hold a 120th birthday party. I’ll invite other bayonets 😄