Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt WIllis Armitage R.E.

Dave66

Recently picked up a booklet "The Training And Employment Of Platoons 1918", and the front cover has the name Lt W Armitage.

Fron the gazette search, the only chap that fits is 2nd Lt Willis Armitage, commissioned into the Royal Engineers 4-11-15, Lt 1-7-17, Acting Captain 30-1-18 and Relinquishes commission 9-7-19 due to wounds.

Ancestry has two Medal Index Cards, one for 1914-15 Star, and another for the S.W.B....both pictured below, with one having him as commanding the School of military engineering at Chatham, yet I can't find either S.W.B. or medal rolls.

I can find a pension record for a Willis Armitage on ancestry, Joining the Scotish Horse on 1-9-14 as a private, aged 32 and lists occupation as "Colliery Manager". He rises quickly through the ranks to SGT but is discharged 15-2-15 as unfit.....Looks a good fit to be the same chap https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?ti=5538&indiv=try&db=britisharmy&h=29890

Scotish birth records (mis transcribed) has a Willis Rose Armitage...4-8-1881, and I can also find him with the same name on the 1891 Scotish census. Not much else on him that I can see, can't find a death or marriage but on one shippibg record from Montreal to Glasgow he is married to Agnes, may be an indication he emigrated after the war.

Any help in finding both the medal rolls or the s.w.b list would be greatly appreciated, as trying to pin down what unit he first went overseas with prior to his commanding the S.M.E.

Dave.image.jpeg.39ad87957644f9408eae314e8a5fb26a.jpegimage.jpeg.3f534e4ffbf8207d18a437a0c8105d45.jpeg

Edited by Dave66
Link added

Also within the booklet, there were four little bits of paper...presumably notes from training courses, added them below for context.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Admin
41 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Thanks David,

Saw that one, but wrong chap I think as there was a Sapper with the same name.

Frustratingly the ancestry search engine isn't returning any hits that fit using only the badge number, and I don't have access to F.M.P.

Dave.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Thanks David,

Saw that one, but wrong chap I think as there was a Sapper with the same name.

Frustratingly the ancestry search engine isn't returning any hits that fit using only the badge number, and I don't have access to F.M.P.

Dave.

Should have seen Sapper, apologies!

6 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Should have seen Sapper, apologies!

No apologies necessary , just nice to have fresh eyes taking the time to look so thanks.

Dave.

55 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Dave

I'm guessing you are aware of his service record? https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1099296

SWB 114436 is coming back to Arthur Levy ASC when I search for it....

David

David,

Hadn’t spotted that so thanks, I saw his mic etc on discovery late last night but was getting very tired after trawling through all the ancestry permutations before I posted this query today.

levy is the only return I san get, even with the /4, he must be in there somewhere but isn’t proving straight forward.

Dave.

• Admin

I tried wildcard searches 11443* and 1144** and got nothing, also tried reversing his names and still no hits.

Strange there isn't a MIC for BWM/VM nor any rolls coming up, perhaps he didn't apply for his medals?

Don't you just love a mystery?

33 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

I tried wildcard searches 11443* and 1144** and got nothing, also tried reversing his names and still no hits.

Strange there isn't a MIC for BWM/VM nor any rolls coming up, perhaps he didn't apply for his medals?

Certainly a mystery, I’ve just plodded through every armitage in the medal rolls and nothing, same with the SWB lists yesterday. Obviously served overseas so should be entitled to trio under the engineers, his service with the Scottish horse was home service only so nothing there.

Even the Scottish records are not easy as can’t view the original, so relying on poor transcriptions.

In the 1891 Scottish census living with his grandfather who is also Willis, and grandmother Anne....birth has his mother also as Anne.

Dave.

44 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

This number is the officers administration number, not a badge number or service number.

The TNA file shows it as such

2nd Lieutenant Willis ARMITAGE.

Royal Engineers.

Date:    [1914-1922]
Held by:    The National Archives, Kew
Former reference in its original department:    114436

1 minute ago, DavidOwen said:

That explains that then... still learning here!

Thank you.

Still learning here as well...Many thanks Wandererpaul.

Dave