Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Lancelot Storr

dr.jayg

Does anyone have a photograph of Lt Col Charles Lancelot Storr?  He was originally commissioned Lieut. in  the Dorsetshire Regiment in 1893.  He participated in the Tirah campaign and Boxer Rebellion and rose in rank to Lt Col during the Great War.   Thanks.  Jay

• 1 year later...

He appears in a group photo when he was Assistant Secretary of the Imperial War Cabinet, held at the National Portrait Gallery:

NPG x130051; The Imperial War Cabinet - Portrait - National Portrait Gallery

He married Josephine Mary Dickinson, daughter of my g-grandfather. I have an image of them at their wedding in 1905, but it's not mine to give. If you PM me with your name and email address, I can contact the owner.

Chris Dickinson

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure that I understand your point. The OP was asking for a picture of CLS. I answered that there is the group picture in the National Portrait Gallery. This is the same picture as in the wiki article.

Some years ago I contacted the NPG and expressed surprise that, though the gallery had a list of names, they didn't label CLS with his official position. They agreed, very courteously, and have amended their database.

Hi.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but doesn't OP mean "offending person"?  Anyway, I responded because anyone with an interest in any of the War Cabinet members is a friend of mine.  The picture I was referring to in the link was the second (bottom) one.  Lancelot Storr is in the top row, far right.  : )
Storr.png.075e7e817fd1353a49d0877a0673f578.png

Oh... all the names listed on the picture I mentioned are listed, in order, on the wikipedia page (Wikipedia is the online Encyclopedia Britannica).  I hope this helps.  If you can provide me biographical information on Storr, I will create a page for him. 

• Admin

OP- original poster

We are referring to tha same picture, Here's the archive where it is held:

Portraits - National Portrait Gallery (npg.org.uk)

You are quite correct in your identication of him, The NPG has got it wrong.

CLS appears in at least one of the standard biographical dictionaries  ['Who Was Who', off the top of my head]. A distinguished career. I would guess also that a seaarch of newspapers would prove productive - he must surely have got an obituary in The Times. Also worth contacting Harrow School., his alma mater.

By the way, on the photo that I have of his wedding,, he is named familiarly as 'Lance'.

About your pic:  Yes, and Nooooo, yours is the 1918 pic; mine is the 1917 pic.  The 1917 photo (I imagine) would have been framed and hung in the houses of all Empire supporters.  There are really two pics, one (the famous one) is direct on, and a second, much rarer one from the side.

The "Who's Who" encyclopedia filters out names after a while, so if you find an entry for Storr in 1919 or 1920, you should take a picture of it.  It would had disappeared a few decades later.

Today, the Times requires a subscription. 

If you would like to download and read the imperial war cabinet minutes, you can see what Major Storr was involved in.  They were the most important issues of the day, much more important than Versailles.  The 1917, pic, btw, was taken on March 22, 1917.    ''Link to War Cabinet Minutes"

I live in the United States, I have access to the Who Who's Encyclopedia at Princeton University (Woodrow Wilson's school), and I will look for this, but it may take a while.  The lockdown is still in effect, and I can't get in.  It must be that damn Spanish Flu.

'Who Was Who' has the entries from 'Who's Who' of people who have died. I've always rather assumed that they are permanent.  In the UK, it is free if you can type in a library or institutional number. Possiblly that is extended to some US institutions. Again, some might have subscriptions to 'The Times'.

https://www.ukwhoswho.com/

CLS was nephew by marriage of my great-uncle Sir John Dickinson, who was chief magistrate at Bow Street (the top police court then) and was responsible for enforcing the 'Defence of the Realm Act' during WWI. They seemed to get on well.

Thank you for the link to the war minutes. I'm not really interested in CLS but am in Sir John. I haven't been up to TNA for a couple of years now because of the restrictions, but next year hope to do a number of journeys. Unfortunately, I've got a lot to catch up on, so thiis family history is very low priority.

As , I hope, an amusement, I pass on the fact that I have ever met one person bearing the name Lancelot. He was an amusing chap and became know amongst his work colleagues as larfalot!

Regards

David