Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RM Sleeve Band on Soldier

Rodgerslad

Hi everyone.

I am looking for some help with a photograph I have.  It shows a WW1 soldier from what I believe is a Territorial regiment of the Army Service Corps.  Many of the other soldiers in the photo are wearing IMPERIAL SERVICE badges.  Does anyone know what the RM (or maybe even BM) sleeve band stands for?  I thought most bands were worn on the arm, is there any reason for wearing one on the sleeve

Many thanks for any help

IMG_3418.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG

I suspect it is RMP (Regimental Police) - the P just being on the very edge of the armband.

Craig

I agree with Craig, you can just see the edge of the ‘P’ = Regimental Military Police.  See:   

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for your help.  I did notice the part of another letter but seeing as there was a considerable space, I thought it may have repeated the RM.  Was it normal to sometimes wear these on the sleeve?  I always thought they were worn on the upper arm?

Thanks

The early practice was to wear them on the cuff (since Queen Victoria’s reign), and most units followed that practice throughout WW1.  It was between the wars and after the formation of a unified corps of military police that the practice changed to upper arm for both, formation level employed CMP and unit level employed, domestic RP.

Edited by FROGSMILE

12 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

I wonder how the cuff band was held in place: hook and eye?

I think that’s most likely, although I expect pins of various types might have been used too, as and when conveniently available.

Could the cuff band have a buckle in similar fashion to Police Officers 'on-duty' cuff bands?

POLICE ARMBAND.jpg

Yes that’s very possible, indeed the MFP and MMP bands usually had buckles in that way. They were ordnance issue and so had a specification, but unit level versions were invariably made up by the battalion tailor utilising cloth to hand, and sometimes in the regiment’s facing colour.

Edited by FROGSMILE

For a buckle or buckles to hold the band in place, they would have to be pulled tight, such that the sleeve would also be dragged in to the arm and wrist. We do not see this so I strongly suspect that additional means of suspension were used.

20 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

For a buckle or buckles to hold the band in place, they would have to be pulled tight, such that the sleeve would also be dragged in to the arm and wrist. We do not see this so I strongly suspect that additional means of suspension were used.

Yes, I think so too.  Even with the MFP/MMP buckle pattern fastening, that would have been necessary if unseemly puckering was to be avoided.

Edited by FROGSMILE

There appears to be some type of fastening to the left of the ‘R’ at the rear of the cuff, the band itself looks to be pinched with two studs

9 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

There appears to be some type of fastening to the left of the ‘R’ at the rear of the cuff, the band itself looks to be pinched with two studs

A press stud fastening would also have been contemporary, and I have seen that type.  With several pairs of studs set at intervals they allowed for adjustment.