Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
seaforths

Those Bloody Kilts: The Highland Soldier in the Great War

seaforths

There used to be a thread something along the lines of: What Book Are You Reading Now? No idea where it is anymore. Anyway, I’m just starting this book I bought last week, by Thomas Greenshields and wondered if anyone else had read it yet. First impressions - it seems very polished, well put together and rich referencing. I will post more later but if anyone else has read and would like to share their thoughts, I would be interested to see what others think of it. 

paulgranger

I've been wondering about the book, so I'll be interested in any comments. The 'what are your reading' thread has slipped down the listings, as the last posting was on 19 March, but it's still on this subforum.

Ghazala

seaforths

Many thanks Paul. I obviously didn’t go back far enough through the listings to find that old thread. I’m only on page 36 at the moment so early days yet as it starts out with a pre WW1 history of the kilts in the regiments, tartans, pipes & drums etc and I’m still in that area of it. In terms of quality, I don’t know if you’ve just seen it online or whether you’ve actually had your hands on a copy but it seems to be produced in good quality, glossy pages which obviously makes it quite a weighty book  . And thanks Ghazala for the soh check :lol: I don’t know anyone daft enough to refer to it as a skirrrt to my face.

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

This:

seaforths

Thank you Dai Bach y Soldiwr. I’ve put a short cut to it on my screen from your link. It used to be such a well used thread that it rarely vanished from the first couple of pages or so.

Now further into the book and enjoying it so far. One of the things the author addresses in this early stage is the thoughts from Kitchener and others that territorial battalions were nowhere near the required standard to serve overseas and go into battles and would take some time to get there. The subject is tackled very well and with impartiality, based on available evidence from that time. He also seems to have taken a no nonsense approach with pre war historical reputation of martial highland regiments/battalions, their achievements and failures, setting out his stalls early on and willing to expose failures as well as successes of the kilted highlanders. It is only the kilted battalions of the empire that the book deals with. I’m afraid for anyone hoping for writing on non kilted Scots, such as Tyneside Scottish, they would be disappointed. Hopefully, without giving too much away, I can come back here with some short review updates.

Steven Broomfield

I'm awaiting a copy to review for Stand To!, so don't give away the ending!

paulgranger

We won.

Steven Broomfield

Thanks.

seaforths
5 hours ago, paulgranger said:

We won.

:o

Could’ve posted a spoiler alert!!

seaforths

I did note in the introduction that time constraints prevented the author from checking Canadian and South African archives in person. He states the Transvaal Scottish were kilted, wearing the Atholl Murray tartan. I had a recollection of recently seeing a photograph of some of the Transvaal Scottish in a library book that I still have on loan. The photo in the book shows 17 men, 1 of whom is a trousered officer wearing a Glengarry. The other men (4 are local to here) are all trousered and wearing bush hats. It looks as though they must have dispensed with the kilts at some point quite early on as the library book seems to have been published around June 1915. 

Steven Broomfield

I guess the Transvaal Scottish were a bit odd: they served in German South West Africa, but I'd sort of think kilts weren't perticularly sensible. Two companies of the 4th (Scottish) South African Infantry were from the TS, and that unit did wear the Atholl kilt. Others served in the East African campaig where, again, one assumes kilts might not have been the best idea!

seaforths

Agree Steven. I won’t expand further on the South African units, as you will be able to read it for yourself soon enough. I have some Parliamentary Papers on the fighting in East & West Africa on my very tall, to read, pile. South African records are or were notoriously difficult to gain access to and I would hope that they have relaxed their stance now. The book image quality is quite poor. I suspect it was previously published in the Banffshire Advertiser and there might be a better copy in the newspaper archives.

D8CE3B4D-51AC-48BE-BFC9-4475B13B0F49.jpeg.6af1f1e84f6ef45690fbbee70958fc7e.jpeg

F8BFE59F-9FB6-4783-8984-DC01DC9FFC15.jpeg.a1c2702cd51a9b5bf68dead0884f23b9.jpeg