Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card - Recs Fwds Nom Roll of India

Julievic

I am hoping to get some help with the first line written under Correspondence on the Medal Card attached.  I can decipher some, but not all.  Would he have been part of the British Army in India?  Where would I look for records of this?

Thanks in advance.

Julie

Medal Card.jpg

The Officer in Command of Royal Army Service Corps records forwards (on 11 October 1920) the Nominal Roll of Individuals of the Territorial Force (who were) later Commissioned.

This man was resident in India in December 1924 when he applied for his medals, but the units shown are the Army Service Corps and Scottish Horse, so not Indian Army.   

1 hour ago, clive_hughes said:

The Officer in Command of Royal Army Service Corps records forwards (on 11 October 1920) the Nominal Roll of Individuals of the Territorial Force (who were) later Commissioned.

This man was resident in India in December 1924 when he applied for his medals, but the units shown are the Army Service Corps and Scottish Horse, so not Indian Army.   

I had thought it said Nominal Roll of India, so thank you for clearing that one up for me.  Can you tell me what this line means?  He was in India some time after WW1, but not before.

49 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Hi Julie

If you haven't already found it his service record is at Kew https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C689587 Sadly these aren't yet digitised so you would need to visit or employ a researcher to copy it for you (it is relatively inexpensive the last 2 I have had done were under £5 each).

Regards

David

I have requested and received his service record in digital form from the National Archives.  His records only go up to 1919.  Perhaps I need to apply to the MOD for his service records beyond that?

• Admin
5 hours ago, Julievic said:

I have requested and received his service record in digital form from the National Archives.  His records only go up to 1919.  Perhaps I need to apply to the MOD for his service records beyond that?

The MOD wont have any service records beyond that as if they had then the file wouldn't have been available at TNA.

7 hours ago, Julievic said:

Can you tell me what this line means? 

Do you mean the line after the one that Clive Hughes has clarified?  If so it is Application (received) for British War and Victory Medals, that and the address in India in the same hand is what led Clive to his second line. (They were sent on 2 January 1925 - Medal roll)

He relinquished his commission with effect from 30 September 1921 (London Gazette 13 Dec 21).

Max

Hi,

You are clearly at the advantage of forum members having sight of his records.

As Max says he relinquished his British Army commission in 1921 he was either living in India in civil employment or (more unlikely - unless you have some evidence to share) serving in the Indian Army in 1924.

Have you checked FMP or Ancestry for a trace of his passage to India? if he travelled in a civil capacity post relinquishing his commission you ought to find a trace of the voyage.

Steve

14 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

The MOD wont have any service records beyond that as if they had then the file wouldn't have been available at TNA.

That is good to know.  Thanks David.

13 hours ago, MaxD said:

Do you mean the line after the one that Clive Hughes has clarified?  If so it is Application (received) for British War and Victory Medals, that and the address in India in the same hand is what led Clive to his second line. (They were sent on 2 January 1925 - Medal roll)

He relinquished his commission with effect from 30 September 1921 (London Gazette 13 Dec 21).

Max

Thanks Max.  I had not seen that London Gazette where he relinquished his commission.  I had deciphered the line about applying for medals.  

11 hours ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

You are clearly at the advantage of forum members having sight of his records.

As Max says he relinquished his British Army commission in 1921 he was either living in India in civil employment or (more unlikely - unless you have some evidence to share) serving in the Indian Army in 1924.

Have you checked FMP or Ancestry for a trace of his passage to India? if he travelled in a civil capacity post relinquishing his commission you ought to find a trace of the voyage.

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes, it appears he applied for a permanent commission in the Regular Army on July 1919.  (It was recommended that his appointment be antedated to 25 Feb 1916.)  Then October 1919 he was disembodied from the Territorial Force (Army Form Z. 3.)  I'm just trying to make sense of it all.

I think you are right about being in civil employment in India as I have a copy of his will from 1930 where he states that he is a Civil Engineer for the Bengal & North Western Railway.  

I have checked passenger lists but have found nothing from before 1927.  I will have another look.

Thanks for your help.