Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War grave query south Africa Native Labour Corps

Hopeful

The pictures are related to a single gravestone that I came across in the tiny  Wembury Churchyard on the Devon coast when I visited in 2014. All the other graves were old and mossy and related to local families and amongst them - this single, clean  gravestone of a South African black man who must have been involved in the Great War, far from home . Its left me with so many questions. Why was he here in tiny Wembury all by himself? Where did he die? What was he doing in Britain? I see that the grave is honoured by somebody every year with small wooden crosses. Who does that? If anyone can shed light on this I would so appreciate it.

I was emboldened to post this because I have recently had so much help with identifying a cap badge and the person who wore it, from members of this forum and i can see that there is a huge reservoir of knowledge here and that the history of the Great War  will  not be allowed to die.

3633 View of Wembury Churchyard  Devon 30 March.jpg

3635 Devon 30 March.jpg

3637 War Graves Commission stone for Private J Siyabi Wembury Churchyard Devon 30 March.jpg

• Admin

His CWGC burial return  is here

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/350380/siyabi,-jeremiah/#&gid=null&pid=2

it looks like he was reburied, originally being buried at a camp.

Michelle 

Lots of info here:

https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/bhm-heroes/how-black-soldiers-helped-britain-in-first-world-war/

No Labour No Battle, the seminal work on the Labour Corps and like organisations has details of the SANLC.  They began to be repatriated from France in September 1917 via a camp at St Budeaux in Devonport, the last going a year later.  It may be that they also used Renney Camp.

Max

Sorry, I have been away for a couple of days. Thank you so much Michelle for the information regarding his burial and the camp.  Thanks too to Max, that information has really helped to round out the picture. I'm most grateful to both of you for this.

Dave thanks very much indeed for this link, which completed the missing part of the puzzle - i.e.where Jeremiah came from. I'm  so  pleased that I have now gained an explanation for the presence of the rather lonely South African grave - thanks to all the help received here.