Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

pookie46

Benbow Battalion RND WW1

pookie46

I am researching ALFRED DAWSON  Z/543 Benbow battalion RND who died after being discharged in June 1915 on 5th Dec 1915 while working as a gardener at Pyrford Court Gardens in Surrey.

His name appears on the War Memorial at Hambleden in Bucks & Pyrford but despite being buried in Hambleden his grave is unmarked. There is no CWGC information as I presume he was not on active service when he died. Can anyone shed any light on the "Z" prefix or details of the Battalion? Scanty info online. I am aware that only his death certificate would show cause of death.Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

horatio2
Posted (edited)

He was a post-31 August 1914, hostilities (Z) volunteer in London Division RNVR. After six months at Crystal Palace (recruit training) he was drafted with the newly-reformed Benbow Battalion RND to Blandford. However, he did not proceed to the Dardanelles/Gallipoli with Benbow for health reasons. He was discharged medically unfit with organic heart disease on 9 June 1915 after survey at RN Hospital Haslar. His RND Record Card is here - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7268445

His British War Medal was never claimed.

Edited by horatio2

pookie46

Thank you so very much!!

Ron Clifton

The CWGC was not formed until May 1917 so many men who died at home before that date, through illness not caused by military service, have not bee officially commemorated by them.

Members of this Forum, especially Terry Reeves, are active in the "In from the cold" project to ask the CWGC to provide for these men's graves in future. Try contacting Terry via the PM facility to see if he can help.

Good luck!

Ron

horatio2

I doubt that this man would qualify. His organic heart disease could not have been attributed to his service and I do not think that his disease was aggravated by seven months of training in UK.