Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Camel Corps and historical fiction help

I have currently finished my first draft of my novel that takes place in 1917 to early 1918 in the Middle East theatre.

It is incorporating the camel corp, particularly the 2nd Battalion, 5th Company (Wilson). However, I want to make sure that may battle orders are correct and also perhaps a different unit maybe worth using to align with my story.

Any help is most welcomed.

I use the word historical fiction very lightly, as it is a fiction that takes place in a particular moment in history. I am trying to a keep as much as I can faithful to the time and place, as I weave my fictional narrative through time.

If you have any knowledge or are interested in helping me make sure I keep the historical terms, units, battle orders and time frames accurate - please feel free to respond.

I have been reading several threads and must say I am very impressed with the knowledge and information many of you have shared.
Thank you.

Regards,

MS Williams-King

• 3 weeks later...

I posted Part 1 of 5 of the Novel on Wattpad, if you care to read.

Looking for help, suggestions, thoughts, criticism, etc.

Title: Journey to Masyaf (Part 1: The Fall)
Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/184758808-journey-to-masyaf-part-1-the-fall
Genre: Fiction
Sub-Genre: Historical / Adventure 
Interests: Assassins / History / WW1 / Middle East / Adventure
Rating: Mature (Violence)
Setting: World War 1 - Middle East.
Word Count: 25k-30k
Warning: War Violence and Slang

Blurb:
A young boy, who ran away from home to follow in the footsteps of Sir Richard Burton’s adventure to Mecca, has seen more than most care to see. The Great War has broken out, his ability to speak German, Arabic, and English lead him to a job working for the London paper reporting from the front lines and a spy.

He joins a new friend, back to the front, with the Camel Corps 5th Company and discovers there is far more going on in the Desert. The ancient world and the new world are woven together. He is about to embark on an adventure of a life time and discover far more than he could imagine. Another war, a secret war raging over a 1000 years.

Mate,

Of cause some more research may fix a number of the problems with this, but not bad of what I read.

But I forgot when reading that its fiction, not what I read Non Fiction.

Just to mention

The operation to Nekhl was by the parts of the 1BN (2Co, 3Co and 4Co) under Maj Mills 22 May 1917

The operation by the 2Bn under Bassett, was the Hassana Operation by (5Co 6Co and 7Co) + part 14Co 16 Feb 1917 

Cheers

S.B