Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stonehouse Barracks

Uncle George

the “heart and soul” of the Royal Marines, in Stonehouse, Plymouth. Completed in 1785, the Barracks are to be sold and disposed of by 2023. Inside the Barracks stands St Christopher’s Chapel. According to this article: https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/gallery/behind-protected-gates-stonehouse-barracks-2492302

there are “multiple rolls of honour” in the Chapel, of which this is one:

B8CA9469-403C-489B-A843-F89DF79B45B6.jpeg

UG-I am not optimistic about all of this, especially after joining up the words "property" "spiv" and "victualling yard" in past years. The RM Barracks  were always a bit of a mystery when I was a kid- always rather secretive with sentries  when we used to go past it to Admirals Hard and the Cremyll Ferry,  Is there anything known to be happening about it's heritage items? Especially what RM might do with them.

Out of interest, particularly for memorials. When I was a kid, the service casualties for the Blitz were still a state secret and  despite an FOI request on MOD, ---- which said they had been disclosed long since, they are still a mystery. I understand (though it may be a local urban myth (ie Ford and Mount Wise) , that the service casualties were high due to direct hits on the PO's Mess, Aggie Westons and RM Barracks- the latter seemingly (ie gossip) hit by a torpedo aimed at Ark Royal, moored in under the Hoe-which overshot. A memorial for WW2 names would be at a premium.  Of course, dear Mods., memorials for the Great War are our chief concern

Heritage wise but non military the Globe Theatre within he Barracks complex needs saving:

globe.jpg

UG-I am not optimistic about all of this, especially after joining up the words "property" "spiv" and "victualling yard" in past years. The RM Barracks  were always a bit of a mystery when I was a kid- always rather secretive with sentries  when we used to go past it to Admirals Hard and the Cremyll Ferry,  Is there anything known to be happening about it's heritage items? Especially what RM might do with them.

Out of interest, particularly for memorials. When I was a kid, the service casualties for the Blitz were still a state secret and  despite an FOI request on MOD, ---- which said they had been disclosed long since, they are still a mystery. I understand (though it may be a local urban myth (ie Ford and Mount Wise) , that the service casualties were high due to direct hits on the PO's Mess, Aggie Westons and RM Barracks- the latter seemingly (ie gossip) hit by a torpedo aimed at Ark Royal, moored in under the Hoe-which overshot. A memorial for WW2 names would be at a premium.  Of course, dear Mods., memorials for the Great War are our chief concern

I fear I know nothing about the heritage items inside the Barracks. According to this article: 

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/truth-stonehouse-barracks-what-means-786413

“The Plymouth and South West Devon Joint Local Plan, which outlines proposed development across the region up until 2034, suggests that the site, estimated to be worth about £20million, could be transformed into 400 new homes and a hotel, as well as providing space for small-scale office or retail units.” But this tells us nothing about the heritage. Like you I dread to envisage.

Attached is from the article in post #1, which article tells us: “There are dozens of engravings and plaques inside Stonehouse Barracks.”

031FB3BB-5C7E-4705-9F6A-5536A94AA723.jpeg

Thanks UG-  the precedent of a multistory car park in Rennie's  victualling yard  reservoir does not inspire confidence.  This seems to assume that the site will be flattened???   Could you keep a lookout for anything from English Heritage about all this- I know they did quite a bit of work on  defence buildings around Plymouth (the Follies,etc) and  had a very good researcher, based in Dorset who was a proper military historian.

(It's not the same place but every time I think of Stonehouse Barracks, then I am reminded of Charles Causley's poem "Chief Petty Officer"- well worth a read-got the past-their-sell-by date Chiefs of the old navy spot on)

Thanks UG-  the precedent of a multistory car park in Rennie's  victualling yard  reservoir does not inspire confidence.  This seems to assume that the site will be flattened???   Could you keep a lookout for anything from English Heritage about all this- I know they did quite a bit of work on  defence buildings around Plymouth (the Follies,etc) and  had a very good researcher, based in Dorset who was a proper military historian.

I shall certainly keep an eye on this. I must say I was surprised to see that the Barracks are only Grade II* listed. But then, one thinks of the shocking state of the grand old Raglan Gatehouse, which is only unstarred Grade II. Attaced images and quote are from this link (which is well-worth reading). (To keep this on-topic, Raglan Barracks was the home of 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion, the Devonshire Regiment from 1915 until the end of the war):

http://www.devonportonline.co.uk/historic_devonport/buildings_historic/raglan-gatehouse/raglan-gatehouse.aspx

“Raglan Gatehouse is struggling to survive, since being released by MoD and sold on the open market, successive owners have failed to maintain it. It has fallen into massive disrepair, trees are even growing out through the roof - rather, what was once the roof, it collapsed a while back. The city council have placed it on the Buildings At Risk Register three times and, I'm led to understand, are encouraging the owners to address the issue. At time of writing [2011] the Gatehouse is still for sale. To the everyday onlooker like myself, it appears the owners actively want the building to continue decaying, they want it to fall into total disrepair, beyond rebuild, so that a new building(s) can rise in its place.”

773E753F-674B-4EC2-8CEB-D86139108164.jpeg

6C788F67-0FE1-4933-8FEB-B702DFCC1BA3.jpeg

Until the 1990s, Stonehouse Barracks had one of the very few theatres in Plymouth. I remember going there to see a production of The Gondoliers, and a school production of Morning Departure. There may have been others, but those I remember.

An update - 

‘Labour MP for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport, Luke Pollard, said on social media: "MoD confirms Stonehouse Barracks will not close in 2023 but will be extended to 2027. Chivenor and Norton Manor saves from closure so plan to build a new RM superbase in Plymouth has been dropped. Promise to our city broken by this Government.’

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/rmb-chivenor-military-base-saved-2592043

Edited by Uncle George