Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfather/brothers in WWI

kptz

Hello, I managed to contact a cousin who told me my grandfather was awarded the Victory Medal and the British War Medal. I asked my 90yr old father if he new anything (he is always very reluctant to talk about my grandfather). He said my grandfather told him that he was in  North Africa and Turkey and mentioned bayonets and trenches. I am very confused.

Thank you again for all your time and efforts.

Kathleen 

HI Kathleen

Does your cousin have the medals, if so the name, regiment and service number will be around the rim of both, that will be a great help in working things out.

regards

Robert

5 hours ago, kptz said:

Hello, I managed to contact a cousin who told me my grandfather was awarded the Victory Medal and the British War Medal. I asked my 90yr old father if he new anything (he is always very reluctant to talk about my grandfather). He said my grandfather told him that he was in  North Africa and Turkey and mentioned bayonets and trenches. I am very confused.

Thank you again for all your time and efforts.

Kathleen 

These are little snippets of information that build up a picture Kathleen.  There was a separate theatre of war in the Middle East where Britain was fighting the Turkey, who were aided with material support and advisers by Germany. From what you’ve said we know from the tropical clothing in your first photo that your grandfather was probably serving in that area.  It was very large and involved places like Egypt and Palestine (they are in North Africa), the Suez Canal and Mesopotamia, large parts of which later became modern day Iraq in a post-war distribution of former Turkish assets.  All that fits with your grandfather’s service and if you type ‘WW1 Mesopotamia Campaign’ into your search engine and read an overview of the result it will put things into context.  The war didn’t just take place in France and Flanders and, as a World War, there was much going on elsewhere too.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

It was very large and involved places like Egypt and Palestine (which are in North Africa),

Geographically, Palestine is in Asia, as are Israel and Jordan that surround it.

Asia starts or ends at the Suez canal, so the Sinai peninsula is in Asia, whereas the rest of Egypt is in Africa.

In geological or tectonic terms, Sinai is part of the African Plate.

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Geographically, Palestine is in Asia, as are Israel and Jordan that surround it.

Asia starts or ends at the Suez canal, so the Sinai peninsula is in Asia, whereas the rest of Egypt is in Africa.

In geological or tectonic terms, Sinai is part of the African Plate.

I don’t want to get too much into precise geographical boundaries when trying to help Kathleen, but keep it fairly simple.  In general terms I seem to recall that the WW2 fighting through Egypt, Libya, across the top of the great continent of Africa was referred to as North Africa, although I realise as one stretches across towards Iraq, Iran, Turkey, etc. the boundary with Asia is reached. My main aim here is to reassure Kathleen that family recollections of her grandfather’s do fit with his dress and mentions of ‘Turkey’ and ‘North Africa’.  The lines of communication (LofC) to that particular, WW1 theatre of war were through Egypt; and the Suez Canal Zone was Britain’s gateway to India for reinforcements, etc. so it would have been entirely natural for Kathleen’s grandfather to make mention of North Africa. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

23 hours ago, rksimpson said:

HI Kathleen

Does your cousin have the medals, if so the name, regiment and service number will be around the rim of both, that will be a great help in working things out.

regards

Robert

Hi Robert, my cousin sent them to an estranged uncle who is not able to locate the medals.  When asked, the uncle told the cousin there wasn't anything on the medal. I do appreciate all the help-.

Kathleen

Frogsmile and Dai Bach y Sowldiwr - thank you both for the lesson in history. Reading through all the comments here and through the forum, I am learning. I appreciate all your time and help.

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen

I would think the uncle did not look at the rim of the medals, only the faces. All WW1 British medals issued had the name on the rim of the round ones.(unless they have been erased)

regards

Robert

13 hours ago, rksimpson said:

Hi Kathleen

I would think the uncle did not look at the rim of the medals, only the faces. All WW1 British medals issued had the name on the rim of the round ones.(unless they have been erased)

regards

Robert

Hello Robert, you most likely are correct about the uncle. I will try again with my cousin with that information. He also thought the information was on the face of the medal.

thanks, Kathleen

25 minutes ago, kptz said:

Hello Robert, you most likely are correct about the uncle. I will try again with my cousin with that information. He also thought the information was on the face of the medal.

thanks, Kathleen

Kathleen, on the circular shaped medals the names were engraved on the rim, and on the star shaped 1914 and 1914-15 medals the details were engraved on the obverse.  See images below.

5CE73C10-9D77-4D56-AB72-D2491FB37B82.jpeg

60C63335-2215-4AB7-A17D-B8581E5EEBA1.jpeg

Hi Kathleen,

Not being an officer, his British War & Victory medals should show something like this on the rims...

image.png.cb5d029595f74f9ffd6c8be114ee6b60.png

….service number, rank, initial, surname, and regiment/corps. In the example it reads - 5553; Sapper; H Prior; Royal Engineers. in your case, it's the service number that's key to knowing if we've got the right chap.

Regards

Chris

You are all amazing:) Thank your for all the effort and time you have given me.

I will ask my cousin to taken another stab at asking the uncle about the medals.

Kathleen