Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Swan Edgar Corner? Location help needed

Rory Stephens

Hi

I wonder if there is anyone who could help me identify the location of Swan Edgar Corner, as it has cropped up a few times in an artillery war diary I have been looking through. The war diary says their position was Sheet 28 N.3; if anyone can point in me in the direction of the relevant trench map that would be most helpful. I am particularly interested in the period around April 1918 and a corresponding location on a modern map would be fantastic.

Many thanks

Rory

Hi Rory

there are several locations with Swan, but I can't find a match for the full name.

Trench Name Nearest Place Map Sheet Number Map Squares
Swan Chateau Ypres 28NW4 I 19 c
Swan Chateau Wood Ypres 28NW4 I 19 a, c
Swan Cross Roads Moorslede 28NE2 E 22 d 5.6
Swan Lane Qu�ant 57cNE1 D 19 b, 20 a
Swan Lane Gueudecourt 57cSW1 M 24 c, d
Swan Trench Vis-en-Artois 51bSW2 O 25 c, d
Swan Trench Vis-en-Artois 51bSW2 O 3 c
Swan Trench Beaumont 57dSE1 R 2 b, 3 a, b
Swan Trench Beaumont 57dSE2 R 2 b, 3 a, b
Swan Trench [1918] H�buterne 57dNE3 & 4 K 11 d, 12 a, c
Swan Trench [1918] Bouzincourt 57dSE3 W 21 c, 26 b, 27 a
Swan Work Bellicourt 62bNW3 G 27 d 05.15

Rory

Just a though 'Swan and Edgar' was a well known Departmet Store in Piccadilly. It opened in 1812 and closed in 1982. It was located on the corner between Regent St and  Piccadilly.

If your War Diary is for a London Brigade or the Author was a Londoner Swan Edgar could be  a locally used name for a trench junction or 'hot spot'.  It might be worth looking for other London related trench names on Sheet 28.

Bob

Edited by RobertBr
To clarify the 'corner' the building stands on.

South of Zillebeke on the road to Ypres. Mentioned in Despatch Rider on the Western Front by Albert Simpkin and A Tommy at Ypres, The Diary and letters of Walter Williamson

Edited by ilkley remembers

Rory

I had a look at the NLS map that covers south of Zillebeke but could not find anything. Have you had a look at the WD of the Divisional Commander RA for whichever Unit you are looking at. Battery positions are often given in the appendices with full map references. 

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

I just dis a Yahoo Search which had a  hit at: https://stmarybournegoestowar.net/2018/09/25/528/

Try the link on the page to  Piccadilly in the Front Line

Edited by RobertBr
None, an accidental Save before I had finished

South of Zillebeke on the road to Ypres. Mentioned in Despatch Rider on the Western Front by Albert Simkin and Tommy at Ypres, The Diary and letters of Walter Williamson

Had another look for the location this morning, particularly in the light of 

15 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

I had a look at the NLS map that covers south of Zillebeke but could not find anything.

Looking again at Walter Williamson (see below) he notes that it was near to Ridge Wood which puts it SW of Ypres (see map). Simkins account suggests SE of Ypres and south of Zillebeke near to Verbrande Molen. which suggests that there may have been 2 position known as Swan Edgar.

swan and edgar corner.PNG

ridge wood.PNG

ridge wood 3.PNG

Edited by ilkley remembers

This is the NLS map dated May 1918 which shows Ridge Wood in N 5.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464927

See Rory's other recent thread about Hoograaf in this Forum, if he is referring in this thread to the same RGA Unit then my suggestion to look in the WD of the Divisional Commander RA will not be applicable.