Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Admiralty V & W Class destroyer

Biggles

Good morning Gentlemen,

I would like to know how many officers (their ranks and 'duties'), a V or W class destroyer would have carried in 1917 - 1918.  Can anyone help me here?

Thank you all in advance.

Cheerio,

Caleb

I can't help for the period 1917- Nov. 1918, as ship details were kept out of the Navy List during wartime for reasons of security.

However, from December 1918 details were back in the Navy List again: the first link leads to the entry for VALENTINE, and you should be able to page through to the surviving V & W class ships as listed in the link to the Wikipedia article. I don't suppose the complement was that different in and out of wartime.

https://archive.org/details/navylistdec1918grea/page/762

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_and_W-class_destroyer

The archive.org entry is a lot easier to read if you "toggle to full screen" and "zoom in" using the buttons in the lower right corner of the display.

sJ

Edited by seaJane
proof-reading perfectionist

edit to add - Sorry Biggles - I seem to have missed that you are only looking at officers

ignore this post if not useful

Looking at Jane's Fighting Ships of WWI, then the complement of the “V” class Destroyers depends on which “V” your talking about

The original Thornycroft and the Admiralty Vs had 110

but the 'Later Six-tube Boats' had 127 ('Six' refers to the number of torpedo tubes)

A further version was the  Admiralty V class with 4.7 inch guns (as opposed to 4 inch for the above) - these also had a compliment of 127 

The W Class does not appear to be covered by Jane's

Edited by michaeldr

Thank you all for your help.  Yes, I was specifically wondering about the ships' officers, but that is fine.

The Navy List is most interesting, I must have a proper look through it sometime.

Cheerio,

Caleb