Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RHA or RFA

Good Day.

I am in a state of Confusion and hope someone can help me please.

My Grandfathers papers say that he was in the 36th RFA. Ive got the details from the Forces war records. What I don't understand is What is the difference between the RHA & RFA.

When I look at the maps on forces war records I can see the places that the 36th Fought in. How can I tell if he was part of the 36th divisional ammunition column? as these are the two listings for the 36th.

Thanks in advance

AndyAllinson.png.d95fd204517777cad7b3eaa7d18d9d4c.png

From "The Long, Long Trail"

The Royal Artillery in the First World War

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/

RHA:  "The Royal Horse Artillery: armed with light, mobile, horse-drawn guns that in theory provided firepower in support of the cavalry and in practice supplemented the Royal Field Artillery".

RFA:  "The Royal Field Artillery: the most numerous arm of the artillery, the horse-drawn RFA was responsible for the medium calibre guns and howitzers deployed close to the front line and was reasonably mobile. It was organised into brigades".

I would take 36 RFA to refer to 36th Brigade RFA, and you can follow follow internal links in the above webpage to this Brigade. However, someone else  with more knowledge may have different views.

Cheers

Maureen

Andy

If the 36 does relate to a unit then it could be 36 Brigade RFA. The date of entry in to theatre 16 Aug 1914 would make him a Regular Soldier deploying with the original Divisions of the BEF. The 36th Brigade was part of the 2nd Divisions Artillery, however they deployed before 28th August.

I am not sure the 36 does apply to the unit one of r the MIC experts.

Ian

Driver Robert Liddle Allinson 42995 - was indeed in 36th Brigade RFA and went to France with them in August 1914, as part of 2nd Division.. I think it is likely, from his service number, that he was  mobilised reservist. In my extensive research into the men of this Brigade the only possible mention of his role is a mention of a 'Driver Allinson' serving in the 36th Brigade Ammunition Column in early 1915 [and I think a high probability this is indeed him]...This was unit formed mainly of reservists on mobilisation in Aug 1914. If this was indeed him he may well have been posted to 2nd Divisional Ammunition Column in early 1916 when the Brigade columns were removed, although he could also have been posted to a battery as a replacement driver, if not moved elsewhere if wounded/sick etc...

The RHA and the RFA were part of one "corps" for records purposes, so you can find "RFA" on medal cards even for men who are known to have been in the RHA. Additionally, many RHA batteries were rearmed with the 18-pounder gun and deployed as divisional artillery in the same way as RFA batteries.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

I note that Brig. Gen. Battiscome seems able to estimate enlistment dates from a soldier's service number.  Is it possible to find an enlistment date for Gunner 61053 William James Richardson of L Battery, Royal Horse Artillery  who was killed in Sept 1914 at the Affair at Nery.  I believe he may have enlisted before 1911 as he does not appear on the family's census record.

Edited by John French
name omitted in error

30 minutes ago, John French said:

I note that Brig. Gen. Battiscome seems able to estimate enlistment dates from a soldier's service number.  Is it possible to find an enlistment date for Gunner 61053 William James Richardson of L Battery, Royal Horse Artillery  who was killed in Sept 1914 at the Affair at Nery.  I believe he may have enlisted before 1911 as he does not appear on the family's census record.

#61054 RFA attested 19 Feb 1910.

Craig

On 05/04/2019 at 10:33, Ron Clifton said:

The RHA and the RFA were part of one "corps" for records purposes, so you can find "RFA" on medal cards even for men who are known to have been in the RHA. Additionally, many RHA batteries were rearmed with the 18-pounder gun and deployed as divisional artillery in the same way as RFA batteries.

I have read the memoir of Lieutenant Colonel Edward Anthony Steel DSO which gives him the post nominals of both RHA and RFA, but what I am not certain about is the RGA.  Did they have the same close connection as part of the "corps" or were they treated slightly differently because they did not sit in the front line trenches?

Edited by Dever Mayfly

17 hours ago, John French said:

I can add that a Driver William Richardson - aged 19. Protestant, born England - ex Farm Labourer - appears in L Battery 1911 census - then at Newbridge Kildare Ireland

5 hours ago, Dever Mayfly said:

I have read the memoir of Lieutenant Colonel Edward Anthony Steel DSO which gives him the post nominals of both RHA and RFA, but what I am not certain about is the RGA.  Did they have the same close connection as part of the "corps" or were they treated slightly differently because they did not sit in the front line trenches?

No, the RGA was a separate "corps" until the early 1920s when the RH&RFA and the RGA were merged to re-form the Royal Regiment of Artillery and the suffix RA was applied to everyone.

Ron

It might be worth adding that not many Gunners, of any rank, ‘sat in the front line trenches’.  A small minority of observers, with their staff, would be with the infantry but the majority would be with the guns, further back, but always subject to counter-bombardment, and others still further back in reserve and caring for horses.